Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pneumonia..please help

Pneumonia..please help

Hi everyone. I know I haven't been here for a while. I haven't been panicking much until today. A week ago I got a terrible sinus headache which developed into a horrible cough. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and he non chalantly said I have pneumonia. He gave me antibiotics and that was it. I am paralyzed with fear right now. I don't know what to do. He said to rest so I took work off and I have nothing to do but panic. People die from pneumonia! How do I know I will get better? What is dangerous amd what is not? Someone please talk me through this. Has anyone had pneumonia?

Mary

Re: Pneumonia..please help

If the doctor thought your pneumonia was very bad you would be in hospital. My daughter had it and she also suffers from asthma and she recovered from it. It is rare to die from it these days unless the person has some other serious illness at the same time. Do what the doctor says...take the tablets and rest. You WILL be fine

hi hun if the doctor thought ur puemonia was surious he would of admitted u to hospital mybe its early stages of it after u have taken your atibotics if u feel no better go bk or go A&E. rest drink loads of hot fluids hope u feel better soon take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Annie..thank you for posting so quickly. I have never had it before, I just turned 55 and I am thinking now that I'm older I won't be able to fight it off. I am scared. I need to think positive but that is easier said.

My uncle just had it and he is 86...he is fine now and you will be too

as a nurse, i look after pneumonia patients on a regular basis. those that are admitted into hospital are usually those with underlying health problems i.e. respiratory illness (asthma, copd etc). the fact that you are at home is a positive thing. drink plenty of fluids, eat little but often, rest and most important finish the course of atbx your doctor has prescribed even when you begin to feel well.

regards
    mark

Thanx Mark. I asked him about asthma....he said he didn't hear any wheezing but how much can he hear with a stethascope? I feel like I am waiting to feel worse instead of better.

---------- Post added at 04:11 ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 ----------

Hi Spuder.....you are very sweet..thank you. Hugs.

I had pneumonia around Christmas time about seven years a go. I worked with a lot of homeless people and sat next to someone during the Christmas meal who started coughing and spluttering all over my face... anyway I had to go to A&E on Christmas day as it felt worse, all they said was that it was the anxiety from it!

Took about 3 weeks to clear up and go away and slept for around 70% of that time. Also I had quite bad asthma at the time but they said it was viral pneumonia (?) so antibiotics werent needed.

Anyway, even when I had severe Asthma I still was OK, hope that reassures you a little.

mate, he can hear you chest really good through a scethescope and that is how he diagnosed the pneumonia, your chest would have made crackling sound (do not be alarmed by this) which is a sign of pneumonia. if there were any cause for concern he would have sent you an assessment ward (which is where i work) for further investigation. honestly finish the atbx (what ones you on) if no better upon completion of cause then go back, be patient pneumonia can take up to 2weeks to clear.

Thank you uk..it helps very much to hear from people who have had it. I have to try amd have a more positive train of thought. For the moment I am lying down and hoping that these antibiotics do their job.

---------- Post added at 05:06 ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 ----------

Hi Mark, I am on 500mg of Ran-Clarithromycin for 10 days. What do they do if no improvement after antibiotics? Do they give a different round?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information