Thread: one panic surge afer the next

one panic surge afer the next

I just read the first two books of CBT4PANIC and at first felt good but then for some reason started having one surge of panic after the next. I am shaking and crying, I am currently on xanex and just started lexapro (second day). Been having panic attacks on and off now for 5 weeks since getting a pinched nerve in the neck. Had GAD and panic but have been free from panic for many years after going through CBT some years ago. What is going on.

Re: one panic surge afer the next

hope u feel better soon

Hopefully the CBT will work for you again, it is a great way to challenge your anxiety.

BobbyDog

I would say the first thing to do is keep calm and don't panic!!! Easier said than done right???!
    It is a blip, a set back. People with GAD or panic disorder can have times when the anxiety ebbs and flows. Perhaps the adding of the literature has focused your attention even more so on your issues giving your mind free license to adopt your previous levels of panic?
    You have had periods of time when the anxiety was not life style threatening before and you will have them again.
    Nothing has changed physically in your body.
    The tools you used before to claim back control are the same tools you should use again.
    Be kind to yourself, understand this is just a brief time in your life where your issues are raising their heads again but that you will yet again gain that balance back.
    Start to practice being NON anxious. Whatever works for you. Claim that balance back using whatever methods you need. You have to balance those anxiety scales by reminding your tired and anxious brain that there are other ways of existing.
    You will do it.

Often there's no reasonable reason for why we start getting panics when we do, the brain is an amazing thing so try not to search for reasons, though it could be the Lexapro kicking in and making things worse before they get better.

It will pass though, try to accept that's just how it is today and float through the feeling (Xanex will help this). Continue witht the CBT when you feel able to it, it is an excellent way of dealing with the panic.
    Take Care
    Love Sam

Hi Rockbush
    I just sent you an email

Get in touch if you need more help
    Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

thanks all for the support. Managed to sleep 3 hours but started to panic again trying to go back to sleep. Today is a new day.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Robin, Thanks for the email. It helped a lot. I have been through CBT before some years back and my god did it help. My panic went away for years. I did get some GAD creep back which led me to try lexapro for several months. Went off lexapro and did feel great for many more months. I do believe that CBT is the answer in the long run.

This current neck injury really set this whole thing off. I am not really sure what really happened but just woke up in pain one day and it was weeks of pain, steroid shots, pain killers, blood pressure shooting up and pure panic believing i had a brain tumor or blood clot. (still the neck is hurting and I still have thoughts of illness and doom after 5 weeks but the pain has gone from 10 to 4)

Even at this moment just writing about my neck and blood pressure invokes panic response, misinterpretation and catastrophic conclusions.

Thread Information