Thread: do i still take it if....

do i still take it if....

I was prescribed propanolol in the past and never took it cus i worried about taking it... Now i have been given it again i really think i should at least try it.. However.. Everyone and everything mentions slowing of heart rate...

But my anxiety seems to show in a different way... Pains in arms..chest...cough..and itch..pacing...fidgeting.. But heart rate doesnt always feel faster so i worry if i take it and my heart rate is normal wont it slow it too much?

My anxiety is pretty bad...(as im sure everyones is) i have it as part of a borderline personality disorder... Night time being worst as am on my own and am told to focus on my breathing but that gives me a panic attack..

It feels like a catch 22 so was wondering if people with experience can ease my mind..

Re: do i still take it if....

Hi Reason,
    I would raise your concerns with your doctor to double check but I think (from my experience with atenolol, another version of propanolol) that the tablets don't slow down your normal heart rate they just stop the racing heart and palpitations by keeping the heart beating regularly. I am no doctor though and that is just my understanding of the medicine. Your doctor wouldn't have given them to you if they would harm you though, it took me almost a week to take my tablets because I was worried like you.

Beta Blockers will slow your heart rate down - this is what they are designed to do.

You need to check what your heart rate is now and see what happens when you take them

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi what dose propranolol have you been prescribed?

i take 10mg when needed upto 3x daily
    my heart doesnt race i take it at the onset of panic as it blocks the adrenalin symptoms and helps me relax dont be scared of it if there was any danger your doctor wouldnt have prescribed it
    hope you get up the courage to try it if not speak to your gp for reassurance first if that helps

take care x

Thanks for your replies...

Ive been given 40mg and told to take one or day or as necessary to a max of 3 per day..

The gp always says something to reassure me but i have a lack of faith in them since they told my friend he had anxiety and all his symptoms were in his head... Then he passed out and they dismissed it as anxiety again..12 hours later he died at 19yrs old..

I know its rare that happens but its always in my mind.

I dont even know what a normal rate is but was thinking of getting a monitor so i can see if it spikes when im feeling the pains and tweaks when anxious.. I guess that would be reassuring.

Its nice to know im not the only worrier...

I have been on Propranalol since late January and it certainly slows the heart rate down considerably. In the early days it felt like I had no heartbeat at all.

I had an anxiety attack after about a month of use but they did stop the horrible adrenalin rush around the body and this also stopped the adrenalin from reaching the heart and making it race out of control. So I can vouch for the fact that they do work in controlling this aspect of anxiety.

I know what you mean though. It does make you worry at first.

Thread Information