Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High B12 in Blood Tes...!

High B12 in Blood Tes...!

Anyone here ever had or have this?

I have had two different blood tests now both show high b12 the latest one on Monday 23rd September showing it has increased further...I do not take any vitamin supplements.

Dr google points at Leukemia!

But my FBC is completely normal...

Red cells normal
    white cells smack bang in the middle of the rang.
    Iron normal
    folate normal

Dr is giving me yet another blood test for B12, FBC slide test? under microscope rather then machine? and Liver functions

The strange thing is I have been having symptoms which point more towards b12 deficiency yet I have too much..uff

Re: High B12 in Blood Tes...!

Hi i have low b12 and have to have injections didnt think b12 had anything to do with lukemia x

I have pernicious anemia and also have to have the B12 shots.

I can't say that I've really looked at what happens if your B12 is too high, but I also haven't heard of a link with B12 and Leukemia, but then like I said, I really don't know that much about it to be honest.

I would stop looking it up on Google though hun, it will only frighten you. Go and have another chat with your doctor about it, I'm sure they'll be able to put your mind at ease

I also have pernicious anaemia & have to have B12 injections 8 weekly... I've never heard of high B12 as I thought the body got rid of any excess.. however I've just Googled it a bit myself (sinful, I know ), and there are quite a few people who've discussed this high result and it's been completely innocent, they have no connected diagnosis.

I would agree with Auntie Moosie though - the only person who's really going to reassure you is your own doctor, who knows you, all your results, and your history, so I'd go back and tell them how anxious you are about it all.

Quite a few foods are fortified with B12 - breakfast cereals and bread for example.

Then you have to be medically qualified to know how high is high......... normal range on a blood test might be 10 - 100 and if your test is 101 then it most likely isn't an issue.

Sometimes things can fall outside of the 'normal' blood test range but still be perfectly health for the person concerned.

Hi vigilante, you can have high b12 levels in your blood from some oral contraceptives (not sure if you're male or female sorry) so it could be just something simple xxx

Hi, thanks for the replies all,

I'm male but the contraceptive seems interesting, I am on injections of Testosterone and have been for around 3 years now, my latest levels being very high 44.5 nmol/ range was 9-29

I do wonder if this has any bearing on the b12 result, my dr mentioned this also but is unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
    Hi, thanks for the replies all,

I'm male but the contraceptive seems interesting, I am on injections of Testosterone and have been for around 3 years now, my latest levels being very high 44.5 nmol/ range was 9-29

I do wonder if this has any bearing on the b12 result, my dr mentioned this also but is unsure.
    Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in I'm a 21 year old guy and I have about the same levels of elevated b12. I don't have any preexisting medical conditions aside from slightly elevated liver enzymes like billirubin. But that's been looked at thoroughly and considered to be benign. Its been a mystery to all my doctors since its to my understanding a water soluble vitamin and shouldn't easily be elevated especially since I'm not eating any foods super rich in b12 nor am I taking any supplements.

The only symptoms I've been dealing with are just fatigue and a feeling of mental cloudiness and sluggishness. Its probably due to my allergies but I found this post interesting so thought I'd just say I'm in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by neptune296 View Post
    Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in I'm a 21 year old guy and I have about the same levels of elevated b12. I don't have any preexisting medical conditions aside from slightly elevated liver enzymes like billirubin. But that's been looked at thoroughly and considered to be benign. Its been a mystery to all my doctors since its to my understanding a water soluble vitamin and shouldn't easily be elevated especially since I'm not eating any foods super rich in b12 nor am I taking any supplements.

The only symptoms I've been dealing with are just fatigue and a feeling of mental cloudiness and sluggishness. Its probably due to my allergies but I found this post interesting so thought I'd just say I'm in the same boat.
    Hey, yeah I have been reading a lot on this and came across a fair few pages that say it could mean your actually deficient in b12 - a functional deficiency.

originally my dr organised the b12 test because I had sensations like tingling/burning hands, I also feel foggy headed a lot, tension type headaches, fatigued - ongoing around 1 year now.

I just had another blood test today for Liver function, CRP, FBC, Blood Film. Although I really don't expect much to show up on these.

I did read something about testing urine for MMA because that usually goes high in b12 deficiency.

Ill keep you posted.

I don't really know anything about b12 specifically (please DONT google) but what I can tell you is what a neuro once told me.... if you run a whole series of bloods on *anyone* most people will have something outside of "normal" ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information