Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mouth abscess two of my worst fears

Mouth abscess two of my worst fears

Hi , I am pretty sure I have a mouth abscess, last night I had toothache and this morning my left side of face from nose down to chin is swollen not only do I look very strange but I am worried. I know I have to go to the dentist but I struggle to take antibiotics due to fear of side effects I am also scared of the dentist and now am worried the swelling is not going to go down. I felt quite calm about it when I got up but am now starting to feel panicky. Apparently the GP cannot help with things like this and it has got to be the dentist ? Thanks for reading.

Re: Mouth abscess two of my worst fears

What kind of side effects from antibiotics are you concerned about.?

Heart and breathing problems mainly, I did not take the last lot I was prescribed (tried my best though) x

---------- Post added at 07:01 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

Also scared of allergic reactions, eyelid and lip swelling and rashes.

It does sound like you need to see the dentist, and antibiotics may be on the cards. But if you explain your previous SAs and anxiety they may be able to prescribe a more suitable antibiotic.. There's no shortage of choice with those drugs. It may also be the case that an anti inflammatory is all that's required. Have you any issues with those.?

Thanks for replying, I am scared of my most meds but would feel happier about an anti inflammatory. I was fine with antibiotics until I read one of the leaflets one day and have been scared ever since. I definitely need to see the dentist today, my face feels really swollen and my chin is throbbing. My dentist knows I have HA but is only sympathetic to a point . x

I know your fears aren't rational, but if you can try to keep in mind when you read med leaflets that there not so much about informing you about the product but more about protecting the manufacturers from being sued.

I think a lot of the SAs listed on those leaflets were never evident in the trialling of the drug.

Best of luck today xxx I'll love you and leave you,,, off to work now

Thanks Bexie, dentist opens at 9am so need to try and get in today. x

I'm back from the dentist and it is an abscess, I have been prescribed metronitrazole (spelling) it is an antibiotic and I took one as soon as I got home. Did not think about it and I did not feel anxious neither. Perhaps the pain I am in has something to do with it!

Have now had three of the antibiotics feel breathless and dizzy , sure it is something to do with the antibiotics, I don't know whether to take more or not, my swelling is not much better neither. I wish I had not taken any now.

It takes a couple of days for antibiotics to kick in and start working, so don't expect any change just yet. If you feel the breathless and dizziness has to do with your anxiety levels then some relaxation or breathing exercises should help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information