Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Efexor ?

I took effexor 150mg for 18 months. the med in general, worked well, but I couldn't handle the side effects. Since it has a short half life, if I missed a dose, I would feel so rotten. I'd get flu like symptoms and feel so sick. I was taking so many days off work because of it. I switched to Fluoxetine, which is working well. If the effexor didn't have so many side effects, I would probably still be taking it.

hi, does any one know if you can take vit supplements with this anti deppressant? vit b groups, evening primrose and cod liver oil?

apriltones

Yes you can certainly take Vit B and Omega 3 so see no reason why not the others.

Do ask a pharmacist/ health shop owner as they often have potential interaction databases now .

Meg

thanks meg x

apriltones

Hello all.

I started this thread off so thought I'd give an update. i was reminded to look on here because there was a report on radio 2 about the over-prescription of antidepressants -which i dont doubt. They were a last resort for me, and have had massive changes on my life.

I'm more confident in my job doing things I never thought possible. I am interacting with clients confidently. Occasionally someone may make me nervous and i can feel the beginnings of an anxiety attack (nostril flaring slightly) but becasue the symptoms dont increase from that I dont have that spiral effect of "god, they can see me panicking" and then getting into a worse state.

I'm no longer relying on betablockers and managing well on 37.5mg of effexor a day. I am anxious about coming off them particularly when there are minor anxiety symptoms (but i think they are controlled by the effexor).... i think it'll get bad again - if in a horrid situation.

I know this is a question for my GP but I wont go for a while. How long can I stay on effexor at a low dose. I'd love to stay on it forever actually.

As well as feeling better at work I no longer feel so self-conscious and no longer feel that I am being "watched". I'm also now in a relationship - this was all inconceivable before.

Hi KD,

Glad you're feeling so much better on them.

Most GP's initially say 18 month -2 years but many people hav ebene on them for many more years than that. No medical limit.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Over the past 6 months tyings have improved massively but just over the past week I'm noticing some differences ... like feeling a self conscious and self aware again, stuttering a bit and getting panicky in a one on one setting when the other person is doing the talking and me the listening. i just feel myself become very aware of my panicy and i do think if i wasn't on this medication that i would def go into a full on panic ...... should i see about increasing my dose. I'm on such a small amount that maybe it is no longer working.

Any suggestions? I have been feeling really tired and de-motivated - maybe this is why I'm feeling like this ?

Hi kd,

SSRI's are not drugs you get resistant too.

How about trying to use these times to learn to cope with the self aware feelings instead and build up the tools and skills to deal with the uncomfortable feelings.
    Practice your breathing and distraction techniques firstly.

Being tired is never helpful, so take extra special care of yourself these next few weeks, watching your sleep, diet , exercise etc and that may be all you need to get over this blip..

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Thanks Meg for your advice and reassurance.

I will take heed of your advice.

Its funny you mention diet. I am very sensitive to a lot of foods (particularly grains and additives)and haven't been very good at sticking to a non-allergy diet lately relying on antihistamines. Perhaps this doesn't help ! Also I missed a tablet about a week ago and haven't felt quite right since.

I'll be more postive instead of worrying that things aren't working!

anyone had any exzperience with efexor and ocd/panic disorder treatment? success or failure. i've only just started after 6 years of taking anafranil and fingers X it will work this time

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information