Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FDA Wants Suicide Warning Labels on Antidepressant

for me, i was offered Seroxat when i came off the beta blockers that im currently on. But being 19 i feel that there should be other ways that should be tried first before taking anti depressants. I have felt suicidal alot of times and have even been in the position of hanging myself but the only thing stopping me was the effect it would have on friends and family.
    I do athletics, and my coach who im good friends with, is on Seroxat. Originally, he was on beta blockers and found that they made him violently ill. But, seroxat has changed his life around and he has been taking them for nearly 15yrs without any trouble. For me, the beta blockers have got life of the ground.
    What i say is that if you are offered any sort of medication, you should do research on the net, and other sources to see what other people in similar situations have done. Then talk to friends and family. What you shouldnt do is make any 'knee-jerk' decisions because of the way you feel.
    What people must remember is that these cases of suicide are probably a handful of people in among millions and millions who take the likes of Seroxat and found it to be of great benefit.

Britain tightens antidepressant warnings
    Prescriptions include suicidal cautions, withdrawal risks

Updated: 10:42 a.m. ET Dec. 6, 2004

LONDON - Britain’s medicines agency tightened warnings on popular Prozac-type antidepressants on Monday following a review of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI) sparked by concerns over their safety.

The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said there should be stronger warnings about the risk of withdrawal reactions after ending a course of SSRI treatment and in most cases the lowest recommended dose should be prescribed.

Young adults should be monitored closely as a precautionary measure when being treated with SSRIs, it added.

The agency appointed an expert group to investigate the drugs’ safety following claims they could make people feel suicidal or aggressive. Some patients also complained about unpleasant withdrawal effects when they came off treatment.

Drugs including GlaxoSmithKline Plc’s Seroxat -- the most widely prescribed among the drug class in Britain -- were banned from use in children last year following evidence that they may increase the risk of suicides.
    The review said a modest increase in the risk of suicidal thoughts and self harm for patients taking SSRIs could not be ruled out, but there was no clear evidence of increased risk of suicide compared with other antidepressants.

The MHRA is also conducting a separate investigation into whether GlaxoSmithKline, Europe’s biggest drugmaker, withheld important data from clinical studies on the suicide risk among teenagers taking Seroxat.

Seroxat, known as Paxil in the United States, used to be GSK’s biggest-selling product but it has recently declined in importance following the launch of cheap generic copies in key markets. Eli Lilly & Co has also lost patent protection on Prozac.

Drug companies argue that millions of people have been prescribed SSRIs without suffering major adverse events and that suicidal thoughts are more likely to be the result of their depression rather than the treatment.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

I'm on Lustral for my depression. I think it works but it isn't a cure, I know I have to play a large part in my recovery.

Regards,

Blue

Take little steps

I'm on Lustral too (since October).
    I agree, it's not a cure--but it has given me a 'breathing space' for now--& has helped me to sort out in my mind what I am actually panicking about, whereas before I took any medication I was anxious & prone to panic about anything & everything!

It is good that we are now given more info about the possible effects of drugs & that sub-groups, who might be particularly vulnerable to these effects, are monitored.

My current 'drug problem' is related to the withdrawal of Co-Proxamol. GP's will no longer be allowed to prescribe it because it has been cited in what are believed to have been accidental suicide cases. I have been on it for some years, I have arthritis. There are not really any comparable substitutes & my GP has said that it will be difficult to find a suitable pill for many people who use it. So--for me, they have been a little over-vigilant with that one!

Linda.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information