310 34.41%
  • never

18 2.00%
  • what are they

8 0.89%
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: how many of us get funny heart beats

Re: how many of us get funny heart beats

I also get them most days and at this present moment my heart is racing.

My first experience started last November and lasted about 3 days. I quickly became unaware of them.

I waited for a 24 hour halter which did not arrive until mid February. Apparently the halter indicated an irregular heart beat, but again I was not feeling it.

At the end of February they really kicked in! My pulse fluctuated between 80 and 147. My heart was erratic, it did not let up, and I was now conscious of it 24/7.

Currently I am taking Metoprolol Tartrate 3 x 25 mgs and my heart beat is still erratic 24/7. My resting pulse is between 80 - 95, although it still climbs to 130+ on occasion.

I have tried magnesium 2 x 250 mgs per day (currently stopped) and quite a few glasses of red grape juice...............with no success.

I am really quite frustrated, because I have lived a healthy and fairly abstemious life! Now it is on hold, and too focused on this problem. I really want to move on, but it is difficult because I keep monitoring my pulse to see if there is improvement.

Hello again Jalba

Bit of a leap, but try to stop checking your pulse - you are (or seem to be) getting into a classic health anxiety checking behaviour which will reinforce the way you view your chest feelings.

To stop checking was by far and away the best piece of advice I was given about my health anxiety, which is driven for the most part by ectopics and random chest pains.

Alongside the caffeine (see my other reply) I had fallen back into checking behaviours before my recent relapse (pulse checking and feeling my chest etc.) and I am certain it had contributed. See if you can stop checking now, and have a good look at what you are doing and see if you have fallen into other checking behaviours - for reference my backgroundis just like yours but about 15 yrs younger - I have had sporadic bouts of ectopics with anxiety and panic for about 12 years.

Best wishes
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by simonk View Post
    Hello again Jalba

Bit of a leap, but try to stop checking your pulse - you are (or seem to be) getting into a classic health anxiety checking behaviour which will reinforce the way you view your chest feelings.

To stop checking was by far and away the best piece of advice I was given about my health anxiety, which is driven for the most part by ectopics and random chest pains.

Alongside the caffeine (see my other reply) I had fallen back into checking behaviours before my recent relapse (pulse checking and feeling my chest etc.) and I am certain it had contributed. See if you can stop checking now, and have a good look at what you are doing and see if you have fallen into other checking behaviours - for reference my backgroundis just like yours but about 15 yrs younger - I have had sporadic bouts of ectopics with anxiety and panic for about 12 years.

Best wishes
    Simon
    Hello Simon,

Good advice!

I had considered buying a pulse check watch, simply to monitor my pulse rate, during rapid walking. It was to ensure that it was not getting onto dangerous territory, following my experience of 147 beats per min whilst resting.

Despite the possible utility, I have now decided against this.

I have given 3 different health professionals the opportunity to confirm that the arrhythmia is psychosomatic, but on each occasion they have been quite adamant that it is not!

The beta blocker is doing its stuff now, as my heart has slowed right down and although still arrhythmic, it is not so erratic.

I hope your situation is ameliorating also.

Best Wishes

Hi everyone good to know that there are others out there being driven crazy by their missed beats. I must admit that I don't get as many as some people, but recently there have been a few bad runs. In the past I have had all the tests but at the moment because the pattern has changed, I am now scared out of my wits. I have started to get one or two whilst walking the dog, and getting to the point were I don't want to walk far. Does anybody know how to be a little less bothered.

Love to you all

Hi all,
    I get them some days, maybe only feeling like Ive missed a beat. But can you remember what came first? The missed beat or the anxiety? Do I feel anxious and I get them or do I get them and it makes me feel anxious!!!
    xx
    Last edited by sb001f8994; 01-04-09 at 16:02.

heh, how weird that most of us seem to have them!

I do get them, and they vary a lot in regularity.. at the moment in my life I am always getting weird feelings in my chest and stuff but actual flutters are less common... it's all a result of too much tension, heh

i just wanted to catch up on this thread and let you all know how i am doing .

now days i don't get as many of these dam ectopic heart beats and i think it is coz i am not so scared of them anymore,if i get on i don't panic and therefor get more,if i do it is the odd one.

for them who still get them hang in there they do go in the end it took a few years for me but in the end im doing a lot better

jodie xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jodie View Post
    hi everyone

how many of us get eptopic heart beats , thuds in chest ,flutters

jodie xx
    hi my names laura and i have had eptopics for 10 years they drive me mad can anyone plz help me as i feel all alone and nobody understands how scared i get xx

I get them every day to some degree. They can be a run of fast beats or flutters, thuds or missed heart beats. I have had them for 28 years and I am sick of them. I also have pulsatille tinnitus even though I have not been to the doctors because I am too scared. I grind my teeth and wake up most mornings with neck ache and tension. I am going on holiday to my favourite place, Portugal, this weekend and I am fearful of going because last time I went away I was anxious and had palpitations some day and had to take beta blockers. I feel anxious most days and when I relax it is worse.
    You would think after all this time I would cope.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information