Thread: So fed up with these palpitations

So fed up with these palpitations

Hi,I'm new to posting here,but I found it quite a comfort to read others stories of their ectopic heart beats/palpitations....I don't feel quite so alone now
    I have had several days of continual ectopic heart beats...one in every 3 or 4 beats.I was so frightened this evening that I arrived at my Drs surgery without an appointment and was seen fortunately (you usually have to be ill 2 weeks in advance to see one of our Drs!) He has put me on slow release propranol 80mg,but thinks it's possible I have a 'short circuit' so more tests coming up.I have had ectopic beats for over 20 years and have understood that although they are horrible,they will do no harm.....I'm scared to death at the moment as I've never experienced them so continuously.....I just feel so down now.
    Anyone else had the same thing happen?

Re: So fed up with these palpitations

Hiya,
    So sorry you are feeling like this, it's so scary. I too have suffered for years with ectopics. Since xmas I have had an ECG, a 24 hour holter tape, a 48 hour holter tape and a heart scan. I was so sure that I was gonna drop dead at any minute!
    I have had the results now.The ECG and the scan are fine but the tapes show lots of ectopics but as my heart is in sinus rhythm the doctors are saying that this is all caused by anxiety, although the only thing making me anxious is the ectopics!!!
    I just keep on telling myself that my heart is ok and I won't come to any harm, it's not easy, I still get scared but I'm still here!!
    My advice to you is to have the tests, at least that way you'll know. I really hope it all goes well for you.
    Best wishes Wendy

Thank you for your reply Wendy.The propranolol doesn't seem to be working other than slowing my pulse,the ectopic beats are still happening non stop.I don't have an appointment until next tuesday.I too keep telling myself that my heart is fine and nothing terrible is going to happen,but I'm having a hard time believing myself and ending up in tears constantly.
    I've had ectopics for over 20years,but never had them happen in this fashion before....thuds and pauses around every three beats,I'm exhausted.

Hi.

I feel for you as I'm also having a prolonged period of missed beats (nearly 2 weeks). I've had them since my teens but never ever this bad. It's affecting my work (I've had to take time off), my home life, everything. I too am constantly in tears. I know that I need to sleep but then I worry about it so can't then I get more missed beats cos I'm so tired.

I've been to A&E once, the emergency doctor once, 2 local GP's and have another appointment this morning as I just can't go on like this any more. I'm worried that if they don't stop I'll go mad or do something silly. The doctors just look at me as if I'm nuts when I cry and say how distressing I find them.

It is in the most part down to stress and anxiety but it's hard to break the cycle so if anyone has any ideas how to do so let me know!

I hope that you feel better soon.

Hiya Caymanmamma and Debs H,
    These missed beats are the scariest thing inthe world, until I got my results I was like you both, a total mess, I was scared to move and terrified to walk up the stairs even. I couldn't see any way out, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep. It was awful.
    Your replies have helped me as well, cos I can see now how far I've come!!
    Keep on putting pressure on your dr. I went to mine so many times and he didn't take me seriously at all.
    Iwish there was more I could do to help you both, although this site is fantastic, I thought I was the only one with these problems until I came on here!
    Thinking of you both,
    Wendy.

I feel at the end of my tether...never had I had these ectopic beats so persistently although I've been a sufferer for over 20years.My heart is skipping beats every couple of beats and I only seem to get respite from it when I'm asleep.I have seen my Gp this morning and she's organising some blood tests for me and then a 24 hour monitor,but I might have to wait a while for that.The fear has kicked in and it's making things worse.....I also have a pain in my left upper back and ribs which is driving me to distraction.I feel so alone and reduced to tears.
    Reading some of your posts here does help....Thank you Wendy and Debs,

Bobbie

I'm sat with a 24 hour monitor on as I type. Mine haven't been as continuous as yours though but they still terrify me.
    Have you read the info here about palpatations? I printed it off to read when I ffind I'm getting them.

Just wanted to post a quick reply after reading all your posts. I too had the palps/missed beats thing for about 4 1/2 months straight a few years back. I was always feeling my pulse and totally obsessed with the feelings. I was afraid to go to sleep thinking that I would die while I was sleeping and found it very hard to function at all.

All I can say is that when I finally went to the docs and had the EKG, thyroid test etc and was put on anti-d's, that the palps went away within 3-4 days. I think just being told that it was nothing to be afraid of made me stop obsessing about it and they disappeared.

Anyway just wanted to let you know that there is hope and that I guess I am somewhat of a success story. I have managed without the pills now for 3+ years and still no palps. I am left with health anxiety which drives me nuts but rather that than the palps 24/7.

Take care
    Natalie x

Hi Caymanmamma.

Just wondered how you're getting on.

I was signed off work for 2 weeks but still getting these horrendous missed beats. I was on 40mg propranolol and things seemed to be better but then had them all last Saturday, Tuesday night until the early hours then having them today.

Went back to docs today and he's put me on slow release 80mg tablets but Im getting them really really badly today. Just want to cry! I'm so tired and stressed and scared. All I want is to feel normal but I'm worried that I never will again.

I feel like chrissie, scared to move, scared to even wash the dishes.

Still waiting to hear about the 24 hour tape.

Hope that you're feeling better.

Thread Information