Thread: problems with taking lithium

problems with taking lithium

I have been taking lithium for eleven years and I expect that because the severity and frequency of my depressions in the past I expect that I will have to take this medication for life. I keep myself well hydrated but I still suffer from the shakes and low blood pressure. It holds me back as when I'm doing pilates I have to get up really slowly as I'm usually really giddy. I have regular blood tests and my levels are usually within the normal range. Apart from these problems I feel really well at the moment. The issues are how to manage being on the drug as I know others here are on lithium but they dont usually post about how they cope with the side effects. It wouldn't be an issue to come off it as I would almost certainly have a relapse before too long. It is hard to sit here and type this when I feel relatively well forgetting the horrors that severe depression can do to me. So I'm well at the moment and want to stay well. I just wondered if anyone had any tips about taking lithium that they could pass on to me? Thanks.

Re: problems with taking lithium

I take lithium and have the same side effects you do - tremors and low blood pressure, dizziness. It was like someone turned a switch on for me when I first started taking it - within days I felt the depression lift. I am now reducing from 700mg day to 600mg. My Psych intends to get me down to 400mg long term. Apparently my levels were very low before I started taking it. I find the current side effects are worth suffering for the benefits. The only problem I have is if I am physically unwell (like when I had swine flu recently), I feel really medicated and unbalanced for a few days. That can be hard to cope with, but now I know it is the meds I manage to ride it through. Lithium is a very powerful drug and I know never to adjust the dosage without my Psych's supervision and blood tests. I would never consider coming off it without a pre-arranged very slow period of withdrawal.

thanks Maddie i'm glad someone else feels the same as I do. Vomiting and or a stomach upset can alter the lithium levels in the blood. It is always wise to get checked out after such an episode. I had severe vomiting earlier in the year and had my blood levels checked and they were normal. Kidney and thyroid function can alter whilst being on the drug. I'm taking 1000mg at night and when I first went on the drug it was as if someone had swsitched on the light. Best wishes to you.

Long, long term your kidneys may suffer. My mum has been on lithium since I was 8 (I'm 37). She is approaching dialysis now... If you can reduce the levels, do so. My mum would never have not taken it as v.v. bipolar but may have been better advised.... Take care, M

I have bipolar and they wanted me to take lithium, but I have always refused it because of the side effects (especially weight gain). I am agoraphobic and can't go for regular blood tests.

I think Lithium is now becoming one of the 'older' drugs. I take Lamotrigine as a mood stabiliser, which works well for me.

I've been on it for about 3 years. Was on 1200 per night, now on 1000. Hopefully this will be reduced. The blood tests are a faff but I do it to protect my kidneys which have mild impairment. However, my shrink reckoned they were like that before, just to drink loads of water which I do. The tremors do bother me, particularly when I am flustered. If I go for a coffee with a friend, I have to have it in a takeaway cup as the ones with small handles cause me to slobber everywhere! I use mugs at home.

I've also been told I'm likely to be on it indefinitely. Happy to be so as no way am I going back to the deep depressive episodes I had before. She did suggest lamotrigine too but that has its own side effects. Everyone suits different drugs and I'm sticking with the lithium.

Thanks Jo for that. I'm to take lithium indefintely too. I have had too many bad depressions and hospital admisssions. I am aware of the irreversible effects that lithium can have on my thyroid and kidneys. I go for my regular blood tests too. I just dont know what would happen if my psychiatrist switched my drugs. It all depends of whether I relapse again. He has talked about using risperidone in the past. Like Jo I try to remain well hydrated and lithium is definitely been a lifesaver for me (inspite of the shakes)

Thread Information