Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help emetaphobia taking over!!

Help emetaphobia taking over!!

Hello i have suffered form emetaphobia ever since i can remember. For the past few years it has got sooooo much worse. Off course having a 3 yr old daughter doesnt help at times. My doc has put me on citalopram which i have been on for 2.5 months. I dont feel these have helped at all with my anxiety and phobia.I am also doing an online cbt course that i dont feel is doing much either Every little twinge i worry i might be sick. I dont think there is a day that goes by without me fearing this. It is starting to affect my daily life now. Any people that suffer from the same phobia, are there any medications anti-sickness meds or therapies that may help me get over this. I was thinking hypnotherapy but this is really expensive. Thanks in advance.

Martina xx

Re: Help emetaphobia taking over!!

Hey Martina

Sorry to hear your having a rough time :( I dont get this myself but BabyRachel does and I believe her doctor gave her some anti sickness meds! I think CBT is best going to see the therapist...my best advice would be to go back to your doctor and explain the situation...see if they can get you CBT and maybe some different tablets..or higher dosage?

Hope you feel better soon,
    Candy xx

Hi martina when i have a bout of sickness due to my GERD my gp gives me metroclopramide,there are a few anti sickness drugs.When i started on citalopram i was sick 24-7 and these really helped me.Talk it over with your gp he may beable to help you while your feeling like this xxxxx

hello i have emetaphobia too, and i have to say that it is a really bad phobia. I was prescribed citalopram but started taking floux insted, but i'm 14 so i don't what would help for you. I think what helps the most is time and not being forced to do anything. And being comfortable.

Hiya ive had Emetophobia for 25years and it gets worse every day. I dont find citralopram or any anti deppressents help as they dont deal with the phobia directly and i have tried virtually all of them and had a year of CBT and psychotherapy! Hypnosis is by far the best and i had one session and felt amazing after but it is so expensive i couldnt afford to have anymore. Anyway I am about to go back to work after losing my job necause of anxiety caused by this awful phobia so fingers xd i can stick it out and save up for hypnosis! Theres 2 good hypnotists in London one who i saw and one who ive spoke to who i have been told have cured people with emetophobia so PM me if u want me to give you their names. I wish you all the best and know how you feel coz it is such an awful phobia to have which controls your whole life

i have suffered the same thing for years, has got worse since i had my two sons and I am a single parent, I worry constantly that they will be sick, any sickness bugs going round I go in panic..!

I have had cognitive behavourial therapy which I do recommend, it has helped me a little, but its still there!

I liken being sick to dying..which sounds totally crazy to anyone else!!

If you every want to chat, im convinced it does help to chat about it with others!

I have had emetophobia since i was 4/5 years old, i am now 34, so quite a while. That is what made me agoraphobic to start with, because i was scared i was going to puke when i was out....so i stopped going out - simple!

As time has gone on, having an 11 year old child, they bring home everything to mummy. I am a single parent, so i know how you feel.

In the last couple of years, i've caught THREE bugs from him - each one as pleasant as the one before. YES it was hideous, YES i felt like i wanted to die....but no, i didn't panic...why? Because i felt to bloody rotten, i couldn't even move...so panicking would have been pointless. Thank God i never vomited - BUT i did gag every 20 minutes for 12 hours....i was exhausted and i can honestly sit here right now and say that the day AFTER the gagging was worse because i had the fluey bit that follows...aching limbs, headache...temperature....THAT was horrid.

At the end of the Christmas term 2008, my son brought home another sickness virus, but i managed to dodge that one. He was ill - i stayed OUT of the bathroom until the next day where i sprayed bleach everywhere and made him stay in his room...I later found out that half his class was off the same time with the same bug!

All i can say (AND I CAN SAY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE IT), don't worry. Really, really don't worry. If you caught a bug, no fricking anti-emet drug will stop you from throwing up... What anxiety does, is that it clings onto what you fear the most (ie. puking) and it WILL make you think you feel sick. Mine jumps from scared of throwing up, to having a heart attack...to dying of some general illness. You could bet a £1000, that if i was anxious about heart attacks, i would most definitely get chest pains....it's the way the mind works.. You know you won't be sick...unless you have been next a person as they vomit because there is no reason for you to be ill.

Flipping heck i am rambling

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hiya
    i have this phobia too, have it it 20 odd years, i think all the advice above is great, but i know you want someone to tell you that you will not be sick, sadly no one can tell you that, what Belle said is right, there is no need for you to be sick unless you are right next to someone when they actualy throw up, even then it has to be next to someone throwing up from a virus not just general drinking/eating too much.

This phobia is now about to stop me from having an operation i desperately need, i am so so scared of vomiting after the anesthetic i can not sleep, it's 2 weeks away, i honestly now am concidering canceling this as i can't cope with the fear, but on the other hand i don't want to be suffering for the rest of my life because i was so afraid of being sick :(

I wish it wasn't like this but it is

Sharon xxx

Hi Martina

I have emetophobia too, and it's AWFUL. I've had it maybe 30 years, and sometimes it is so bad I stop functioning completely. I would never wish this on my worst enemy.

I did 13 sessions of analytical hypnosis, but sadly it didn't help me at all. It does help a lot of people and is worth trying if you can afford it (VERY expensive). There are a lot of success stories with it.

I never go anywhere without Motilium 10 - available over the counter (my gp won't prescribe me anything )

There IS something that will work for you, we all must have that one thing that will do it. The alternative just doesn't bear thinking about...

I have avoided going out for fear of being ill. I cant even stand people talking about it. If someone is sick i am convinced i will be and it sends me mental and i constantly feel rubbish!! I havent been sick since i was 17 and i am now 23 but that makes it worse for me coz i know its going to happen some day.

Its making me mental. I need to go to the dentist but i have a phobia of dentist..on TOP of thinking...what if i need to be sick..what if i am sick!!! Sorry to hijack the thread i just needed someone to talk too. Nobody understands me and it makes me feel so alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information