Thread: Have I got a brain tumour?

Have I got a brain tumour?

For the last few months when I play a computer game for longer than 20 mins or so, I get a weird feeling in my right ear which I can only describe as a 'cold' feeling. It's not a pulsating, but it does feel like the blood rushes to it. it's quite deep in my ear.

20 mins of a computer game, every single time I get this symptom, and I very rarely get it if I'm not playing a game.

Also, the last couple of weeks my right eye has started twitching quite a lot.

I'm not really that concerned about having a brain tumour because I know its very unlikely, plus I have more worrying symptoms like chest pain and palpitations on a daily basis, BUT it's a weird sensation and strange that computer games cause this. Ive googled it but nobody else in the WORLD seems to get this.

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks

Re: Have I got a brain tumour?

Quote Originally Posted by skippy66 View Post
    For the last few months when I play a computer game for longer than 20 mins or so, I get a weird feeling in my right ear which I can only describe as a 'cold' feeling. It's not a pulsating, but it does feel like the blood rushes to it. it's quite deep in my ear.

20 mins of a computer game, every single time I get this symptom, and I very rarely get it if I'm not playing a game.

Also, the last couple of weeks my right eye has started twitching quite a lot.

I'm not really that concerned about having a brain tumour because I know its very unlikely, plus I have more worrying symptoms like chest pain and palpitations on a daily basis, BUT it's a weird sensation and strange that computer games cause this. Ive googled it but nobody else in the WORLD seems to get this.

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks
    Migraine or atleast something to do with the pc anyway?
    My mum had a head scan in december, hers was because of tinitus & the fact she only has it on one side, but she's also been getting one twitchy eye, on the same side, hers also would weep a bit too at times, but she does get an ache round that eye too. She went back for the results yesterday & he said it was all clear, & that he could see all that side of her head & there was nothing there, he said the eye thing will be to do with migraine if its one side!
    Makes sense espcially with the pc for you. I used to get headaches if I spent too many hours a day on mine.

Re: Have I got a brain tumour?

Well, you need to realize that computer games in particular induce a tremendous degree of extended focus, often in the absence of a break. It's important to realize that both eye and muscular strain can develop to the point of fatigue without much awareness. Computer screens are also a unique form of visual stimuli due to the fact that the images on the screen are composed of pixels, which the eyes must work harder to accommodate. In fact, Computer Vision Syndrome can sometimes develop and cause temporary visual difficulties associated with eye strain.

Most people who play games are often poised in a certain position as well, leaving little to relaxation, and will persist in the activity for sometimes hours. Realize that although it appears to be a seemingly low-impact phyiscal activity, computer gamers can initiate a great deal of physical stress on their body due to the sometimes realistic nature and importance of some gameplay associated with the activity.

The sensation in your ear is actually muscular tension in the muscles directly proximal to the auditory canal. Some people sense changes in temperature, others feel stretching or pulling sensations and others can experience pulsitile tinnitus or other forms of tinnitus due to compression in the region of the auditory complex responsible for receiving and processing sounds. Pulsitile tinnitus is the awareness of blood being pumped through the internal carotid which passes close to the auditory nerve complex. It is not, as some believe, any sign of the patient's blood pressure levels. People unwittingly perform teeth clenching or otherwise tense up various areas of their body in response to the pressures induced by the games. Again, this often goes undetected due to the level of focus being asserted toward the activity.

Space-occupying masses such as tumors generally demonstrate initial symptoms specific to the region in which the mass is located and constitute a range of characterizations that are not well-known to laypersons. Therefore, it is common for such persons to mistake casual changes in physiology as symptoms of disease. Your symptoms would be inconsistent with a brain mass.

You'll be fine. Consider taking regular breaks from the computer console. You'll likely note a corresponding degree of relief in the sensations which trouble you.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Thread Information