Thread: Worried that I've got MS

Worried that I've got MS

Hi there,

Had tingling hands on and off for a few days. Also the very tip of my finger has been numb for a week. As I'm in a permanent state of hypochondria I seem to recall some kind of tingling before - not the numb fingertip though.

Could this be stress/anxiety related? I am under a great deal of pressure at the mo due to nightmare house move etc.

Of course, googling 'numb fingertip/tingling' has only helped raise my concerns as it seems to be a classic ms symptom.

Anyone experience similar?

Many thanks, Chris

Re: Worried that I've got MS

Hi Chris,

The minute you mentioned house move I immediately knew it would be stress! Moving house is without a doubt one of the most stressful situations we put ourselves in, whether we are looking forward to the move or not. I think if you had MS then you'd definitely know about it! Anxiety brings so many different symptoms, some unique to some people, and the point is trying not to be afraid of them. This is when they settle down. I'm sure when your move is settled then you'll begin to relax. I feel for you though, because I find housemoves very stressful. You're not alone.
    Myra

Hi chris, ive hd "ms symptoms" for about 5 months. Ive had the symptoms you describe and more. I see a nero who says that having ms involes a lot more then this so try not to worry. I have been driving myself mad with and have just come back from an mri, although the dr says its to reasure me nothing more, although im not convinced,lol. Please try not to worry as anxiety and stress can do all sorts. xxxx

Thanks alot Myra and Carli! Nice to know other people haev had similar feelings/experiences. I will see if the move relaxes me a bit more before going to docs. Anxiety seems to be a powerful thing.

Wishing you good health! Chris

I constantly think I have MS I get numbness and most recently burning skin sensations. I drove 2 hours to my nuero telling him it was an emergency that I had MS. I was having a panic attack. I still am having the burning but he reassured me I do not have MS, I also had two MRIs last yr. Trying to work through accepting this is a physical reaction to anxiety. You are right it is very powerful! hope u feel better

Hiya,

I used to suffer from mad health anxiety. They called me Melman!! I never had anything wrong with me, never. I "suffered" from everything: broken ribs, throat cancer, multiple heart-attacks & brain tumours, arthritis, tinnitus...everything! Yet, I came to find out that I had none of the above.

It's all about rationalising the possibility of any illness, I think. And google is your worst enemy. I have never, thankfully, googled the symptoms of MS but as with any illness, its symptoms no doubt also match the symptoms of other illnesses partially. I'd advise to get yourself checked anyways, better be safe than sorry.

I reckon it is stress related though. After having experienced health anxiety, I can now for example give myself tingly hands at will by freaking myself out in a certain manner...but more importantly I can also make them go away just as easily (or easier even) knowing that I have caused them myself.

But if you do indeed have MS, you can still look forward to a reasonbably long and reasonably healthy life. I joke!!

Take care.

hi this a constant one of my health worries. ive had your symptoms +
    the numb tip of the finger thing. i had in two of mine, constantly for a few months.

it was not long after i had my baby and i think it was just stress, anxiety and lack of sleep looking back at it now. But at the time i was obviously thinking the same as you.

Anxiety is a bloody strange but real thing!
    sarah x

Thread Information