Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afraid I may have ALS or MND

Afraid I may have ALS or MND

Now guys I'm not sure if I do but I'll explain some things that have been happening to me and you can make your mind up, I have been experiencing very slight muscle twitches / jerks, they arent severe or troublesome but I am aware of them, I've had a funny feeling in my legs, like a heaviness or a soreness especially in my calves, and sometimes my hands feel slightly funny, Funny is the only weak I can describe them because I would say weak, but I can still type, open bags, and do normal things, My legs that feel weak doesnt really seem to affect how I can carry out normal duties, but I am aware something doesnt feel right with them, I have recently started getting a funny feeling in my throat, and Im not sure if its normal or my high state of anxiety is blowing it out of proportion, It is litteraly on my mind when I sleep and when I wake up, I've had a little bit of breathlessness that seems to come from my diaphragm, but otherwise I am healthy, sometimes it feels awkward to walk, but I can walk fine, go to work and work 8hours a day fine, and still come home and have energy but all that is running over in my head is BULBAR ALS BULBAR ALS anyone have any experiences?

Re: Afraid I may have ALS or MND

I'm 21 years of age btw not sure if it matters I also have a funny feeling in my facial muscles which started on the left and seems to have went to the right, my smile isnt affected in anyway, it feels like its tight

The muscles in my body (from my face to my legs and arms and back, just everywhere!) always feel heavy or funny. Sometimes they feel tingly, other times twitchy, and other times sore. The thing with anxiety is that it makes us very tense. We are constantly tensing our muscles without even realising it, which wears them out and makes them sore, tired and prone to twitching and jerking. And the thing with anxiety is that our senses are much higher than normal because our nervous system is so overactive. This means that everything we normally feel is magnified, and we notice strange feelings that noone else would. For example, think about the sole of your foot right now and focus on it. You will notice that you are now aware of how it feels, but you probably weren't before. It's the same with the rest of your body. The more you focus on how things feel, the funnier they will feel. If you are focusing on how weird your legs feel, it will be harder to walk and they will feel heavier. Our bodies work in funny ways, and anxiety really is a horrible thing to suffer with. I always get a funny feeling in my throat too, and this I can almost guarantee you is anxiety, so don't worry yourself about that. Same thing with my face. You'll find that it comes and gets worse as soon as you think about it as well. A sure fire way to tell that something is anxiety related. If you are still really worried baout it just have a quick visit to your doctor and see what they think. Nothing better than reassurance

Amiee, I've a doctors appointment today, so I'll let you know how I get on, everything does seem to be amplifiied when im feeling anxious, but I just want to say, I really appreciate you taking the time to write out all that, theres nothing worst than anxiety to be honest and I've always been anxious my whole life, I've googled the symptoms and its like ALS MS, so basically I'm doomed, or am I :P alot of things may be psychological, I think it's probably due to a mixture of anxiety, B12 deficency because my diet is crap, and possibly a thyroid problem, my aunty was diagnosed with that, so maybe it runs in the family?

Anyway, thank you so much for your reply, it's appreciated.

Andy

B12 deficiencies cause twinging, cramping, burning & pins & needles.
    I used to get it (mainly in my legs) but since I upped my vitamins it seems to have gone...
    Get yourself a vitamin supplement & see if it eases.

Emily xxx

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Ok, so went to doctors today and he done some strength and muscle tests and said basically I had good muscle strength, and there was no weakness he could feel. I asked him for something to clam my anxiety and he give me propanolol? do you guys reckeon he would of seen some muscle weakness had I had ALS or MS? im getting blood tests for B12 Thyroid and a complete blood count

Does anyone know if muscle weakness would of showed up when the doctor gave me physical exams if I had ALS or MS?

Muscle weakness would have showed up I would have thought. That's why they get you to do the muscle tests. When I went to the docs he made me push him & then pull him towards me - he said I had no muscle weakness too so we have to believe them!!!!
    Good news you are getting your b12 tests done, you will prob find it's something to do with that.
    Try not to worry too much in the meantime! Try & believe the doctor! Hope you feel better.

Emily xxx

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Hi
    I also thought I considered the possibility of ALS as I was also getting muscle twitches around my body. What I could gather from frantic reasearch to try and get some reassurance is that there would already be significant muscle weakness with ALS before any muscle twitching start as the twitching is caused by dying muscle. There is a huge difference between percieved muscle weakness and clinical muscle weakness which would mean that you physically would not be able to even lift your arm.
    although you hear about this disease alot it is still incredibly rare.

Hope this makes you feel better =) it did me when I actually really thought about it. It is such a terrible disease just the thought of it sends a shiver down my spine, but I would seriously doubt that you have it.

Thanks guys, the muscle twitching is quite rare at the minute its mainly a feeling of muscle pain/weakness or heaviness, yeah he done that to me mi55 pulled on my foot and hand grip and stuff, said I was a strong lad, and didn't have any weakness. So does it mean no weakness he can feel or I just don't have the same weakness someone with als would have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information