Thread: started propanolol

started propanolol

I've just started on 80gms slow release propanolol and it completely wiped me out for the day. I took it at about mid day after staring at it all morning scared stiff to try it after reading the side effects of hallucinations and heart failure!!! EEEEK!!!! Anyway it worked wonderfully but completely exhausted me until bedtime and then it seemed to wear off and my heart started thudding and racing as per usual.
    Does the tiredness wear off and should I take it at night to stop my heart racing when I'm trying to sleep? The reason I didn't initially do that is I've heard it can stop you sleeping and give you nightmares. I'm so confused!!!
    I'll be going back to the docs in a couple of weeks to update her and talk about starting antidepressants but in the meantime I'm seeking help here! MTIA

Re: started propanolol

Hey miss_polly,

Slow release propranolol is usually effective for 16-24 hours, but the benefits can wear off later in the day. If you struggle in the day, take it then, if nights are the problem, take it then, unless your doctor has advised you otherwise. I found most benefit from taking it around 2 hours before bed to stop palpitations keeping me awake. Doses given for anxiety are relatively low, and most side effects are mild or psychosomatic and aggravated by the underlying anxiety.

Side effect profiles are evil things. Propranolol is used to treat and prevent heart attacks, as well as causing heart failure, is used to control hallucinations, as well as causing them. Read a good book, instead

Good luck with them, hope they work for you!

Re: started propanolol

Thanks for the info Mr Jitters! I'll take it tonight a couple of hours before bed and hope I sleep like a baby (for a change!)

Thread Information