Thread: the missed beats are back

the missed beats are back

I've had years of episodes of skipped beats, which built up and lasted several weeks before slowly fading away for months at a time. Now, I've had it going on for about 6 months with no respite. I feel them any time in the day and night, but seem to notice them more at night when my heart seems to stop, thump, shiver......and I get more and more scared. Saw my doctor today, but of course nothing happened when she was listening! Typical! Pulse around 90. BP low (always is). She's sending me for thyroid tests again, and an ECG and says she thinks I should see a cardiologist - all of which is good. What should I ask the cardio in order to really be reassured? I should be used to all this, but I can't stop the worry when it's bad....

Re: the missed beats are back

Hi, I know how you feel right now. I've had these missed beats for about 13 years now and still hate them. Normally they subside after a whole but this recent bout has lasted 3 months. I went to see my dr and I'm now having a holter monitor for 24hrs and had blood test for thyroid, iron and fbc. In these 13 years I have seen a cardiologist and he reassured me all was well with my heart but I think we all still have those doubts when we get these beats. Hope all goes well for you. X

I thought I started with missed beats 9 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter, after wearing the 24 hour monitor, having ecgs and a heart scan they said my heart was healthy and what I was hearing was a double beat on one beat so my heart can go, thump .... thump.... thump.... thumpthump ....pause .... then reapeat again like this all the time or it can go 10 beats b4 the double thump, it various all the time and doesn't do a double beat when my hearts beating faster. Told me its nothing to worry about and was normal xxx

Thanks guys, it really helps to hear from people who know what it's like! However sympathetic people are about it, they can't really understand if they don't go through it themselves. To feel your heart bouncing irregularly round your chest is not pleasant! I only hope the ecg catches something on Tuesday, but knowing my luck that will be the only time in the day when it behaves itself!
    It's easy to be sensible when the problem isn't bad, but all my sense goes straight out the window when it starts up again. Thanks again for your understanding and help xx

I have also had ectopic heartbeats for a long period of time. I have had every test you can think of and they confirmed there is nothing wrong with me and that I would need to learn to live with it. I have upped my exercise, improved my diet (eating lots of almonds have helped I THINK?!) and also kept myself busy. Good luck with any tests you do have but I'm sure you will be fine. Leo

Heart doing somersaults all day on and off.....until the 20 or so seconds I was on the ecg, when it behaved perfectly. Typical.

Hey rosekay

I am a 27 year old female and have suffered from "missed/skipped" beats for the last two years now. I have had an ECG, blood tests, thyroid checks; the works and the doctor plus a cardiologist has confirmed there is nothing wrong with me. I suffer from health anxiety so I always think I am having a heart attack; things got so bad that I had to start taking Citalopram to combat my anxiety and panic.

If you have all the tests etc. and the doctors tell you you're ok, then try to remember that. They will see cases exactly like yours and mine all the time and we need to remember that they know more than we do.

Hope you're feeling better about it all soon.

Jackanory

Hi Jackanory, thanks for your comment. I do try not to panic, but sometimes when it's really bad and I have runs of the things, it is very difficult! It does help to know others understand and go through the same things. I take bisoprolol, 7.5mg, but it doesn't seem to be working. Wish there was a miracle drug! xx

Thread Information