Thread: Osteopaths?

Osteopaths?

So after self discharging myself from physio today by just not going I am now properly looking in to making an appointment with an osteopath for my back pain.
    Physio wasn't doing anything for me, it didn't last time and the girl I got this time was barely out of uni by the looks of it and pretty useless. I'm sick of doctors etc telling me that 'I think it's this or that' or 'you'll probably just have to live with the pain'. Now, not being funny but I don't even turn 22 until next month so they can bugger off if they think I'm living with this for the rest of my life!!!

Does anyone have any experience of osteopaths and whether they're any good? I've heard good stories about them, as well as the odd 'it didn't work for me' but I guess I can only try right?!

Also, if anyone can maybe recommend anyone in the Manchester area that'd be great, there seem to be quite alot out there!

Re: Osteopaths?

Hello Lizzsaurus

I am really sorry to read that you are experiencing so much pain on top of everything else. I can empathise with your frustration and disappointment that your Doctors are telling you that you may just have to live with it.
    I am a chronic pain sufferer myself and I feel for others who suffer all the time. You are so young also. I have a friend who is also 22 who has suffered from back pain since she was a child and she is very frustrated.

Basically I know that I suffer from Osteoarthritis of the Spine and Muscle Spasms but I only know this for sure because I started having MRI Scans in 2009, with the most recent one on my neck being February of last year 2010. It showed a bulging disc (slipped disc really, in my neck) and 2 degenerated discs as well as a bone spur and trapped nerves. I just wondered if any of the people like your Doctor have ever sent you for an X Ray or an MRI Scan? They sound like a really big deal but they are not and they do not cost the NHS very much money to carry out. I am not a doctor and I cannot diagnose obviously but it can drive people nuts not knowing what is wrong or why. I really hope that it is a muscular problem for you though and not bone, although pain is pain basically whatever the cause.

With Physiotherapy I have had that 3 times and the last 2 physiotherapists have not been helpful at all. Even though the last 2 have been seen 2 years apart they set me the same exercises to do at home, which must just be the bog standard thing to suggest which consist of little more than twisting and turning my neck which I am forever doing anyway trying to find a comfortable place on my shoulders for it. The back exercises just hurt. All this physio has done so far is two lots of acupuncture which hurt like hell and did nothing for me.

I have only ever had one Osteopath in my life and she was absolutely fantastic so although I only have experience of one - she was the most helpful person I have ever had to date. I was referred to her on the nhs and she was only meant to treat me 3 times and she ended up treating me for 7 months. She also kindly, sensitively and calmly talked me through what she was doing and what was wrong with me. This was in Kent though.

I really really hope you find an Osteopath in Manchester. If you can bear to I would just keep shopping around until you find someone who treats you as a woman who lives in a lot of pain and is at her wit's end - you know with respect and kindness.

Wishing you luck with that.

Thanks for your reply
    I've suffered for 3 and a half years now, my first car accident at 18 triggered the pain, it was a bad accident, flipped my car off the motorway, it's just not been right since!
    I've never been sent for any scans, I keep being asked if I have but noone thinks to send me! I guess I should just ask but I'm one of these people who doesn't like to make a fuss as I feel the doctor would be right. Although I diagnose myself half the time anyway thanks to Dr Google!

I've been told by physio that she 'thinks' it's just muscular but I'm not too sure, I think I have a trapped nerve somewhere as I get tingling but no Dr. seems bothered about that either, even when before xmas and got signed off work and told them my hands are numb when I wake up they weren't bothered! Luckily that's gone now, and 5 weeks off work eased the pain, but it's still there.
    I too got given the same exercises that I also do anyway just to get comfy. I've also been told to imrpove my posture, I've done this before and it doesn't help, just makes me look more alert as I look more like a meerkat!

I didn't realise you could be reffered through the NHS to an osteopath, is it quite common or one of those things that you just get lucky with? I don't mind paying though, my Grandad's even said he'd give me the money, he too lives in chronic pain with his knees, although he is 90 next week! So I think he wants me sorted and pain free as I am still young.

I think sometimes I'm not seen as a bad case as I can still walk and move well etc. I learn to kind of go through the pain although I'd rather not, pain killers of any sort don't help so I'm sort of left to deal with it with people wondering if there's anything actually wrong as I put on a brave face. As you said, it's just wanting to know the root cause of the pain, maybe it is muscular but nothing else has been ruled out with scans and stuff so I'm left wondering and googling!

I understand your pain Lizzie and discharged myself from the physios (private) who were treating my frozen shoulder. All the physio's 'did' was stick a few acupuncture needles in my arm and shoulder then leave me alone for best part of an hour. I have an excellent osteopath who is fortnightly treating my back (torn ligaments) in October. I can't take any pain relief and my back is not 100% but so much better. I see him on hubbys BUPA and was recommended by one of our customers. I live in Essex so it would be a bit far for you to come. I can PM his details as he might be able to recommend someone in your area? EJ

Yeah that'd be great, thank you.

Luckily my pain doesn't seem as bad at the moment, just the odd ache when in a bad seating position at work or carrying something heavy. I'm going to see how I cope with a day of housework tomorrow as well.

Thread Information