Thread: Tongue & Jaw tired feels difficult speaking

Tongue & Jaw tired feels difficult speaking

Hi,

Has anyone ever had a feeling that their jaw and tongue get tired when they're speaking, and you feel like you can't articulate words properly, I'm not exactly slurring but when I'm talking at the moment my jaw and tongue feel tired.

Anyone ever have this? I have been pretty anxious of late (to be honest i'm anxious pretty much all the time!)

I'm starting to freak out a bit about this though :-(

Thanks

Tom

I have had exactly the same thing. Sometimes I cant be bothered to even speak as it seems so much effort. Its ok though, dont let it get you down. I have just ignored it and bit by bit it has got better. Sometimes it comes back and I end up having to stick my tongue right out to stretch it to try and stop it aching but mostly its ok. Just one more thing that anxiety can bring on. I have problems swallowing and im ignoring that as well!! Its all liveable with. Dont let it win. Take care.

Thanks for your message! I think it could be connected with me tensing my jaw when i'm anxious (and possibly at night), not sure how that could affect my tongue though?

Your tongue is a muscle, the same as the ones that run throughout your body. Believe me, anxiety can make your tongue ache. Its amazing but it can! I had a massage last night for my neck muscles as these can really effect your throat and I feel pretty good today. Once you get over the hurdle of believing that anxiety can cause this, you will start to feel so much better. Im not saying the symptoms will necessarily go and stay gone, my throat problems started in May and still persist, but the difference is that I dont let it control me now. Its there and i dont know how long it will stay for but i tell myself 'so what'!!!!. I hope you begin to feel like this too.

Hi there,

one of my main anxiety symptoms is pain in jaw, tongue and ear. I've had trouble talking and feeling like im biting my tongue. Some days i just couldnt talk.
    I grind my teeth and it think it was caused by that.

anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Thanks for the messages guys

Tom

Hi Tom,

I’ve had the same problem. It’s good that you’ve posted the problem about speaking. It was the one thing that really freaked when I had it and no one seemed to have a similar problem when I posted on here.

When you go to say something it’s as if your brain strangles your speech. Words just don’t seem to be selected properly and then when you say a word wrong or mispronounce it your stomach sinks with a pang of fear. It’s as if you can’t think fast enough to get the word to speak. It’s an odd and alarming situation.

This lasted about two weeks for me and at the same time my tongue was swollen and my lips felt fat! No other way to describe it.

My tight/sore throat lasted for 14 weeks [I keep a diary] and it was really getting me down until I stopped stressing about it so much. Once you get it in your head that the symptoms are a cause of your thoughts it eases – it takes time.

A lady called Meg who posts on here a lot [http://www.overcominganxiety.co.uk/] has a phrase that ‘Energy does follow thought’. You actually create your physical symptoms by worrying about the physical symptom!! A viscous circle.

It does all seem to pass, but may take a little time.

Hope this helps.

Graham.

~~~ It is a poor heart, and a poorer age, that cannot accept the conditions of life with some heroic readiness. RLS. ~~~

I absolutely hate this one...I had it the other day to.. My body was so tense you could have played guitar on me.I was talking to a family member that I haven't been able to talk to for three years.I was so anxious my jaws about locked up and my tongue felt numb and my upper lip was jerking like Elvis when he sneers...and does that lip thing.I suspect his was also anxiety and nerves..Thats all it is and my top of my head even feels numb once in awhile its all anxiety I promise..take care

Sounds like something I get a lot - more in the evenings, I feel like I am slurring my speech even though no one notices it apart from me. Sometimes it feels like my tounge is bigger than usual even though its not, stiff too...the tongue that is!

Hi Iv'e had that before, most likely from grinding your teeth at night, i sometimes get it if iv'e chewed gum for long periods of time..

Thread Information