Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random memories popping in my head

Random memories popping in my head

Hi,

I wondered if anyone has this problem.... I don't know how to explain. I get random memories popping into my head almost all the time, but when I am busy, they don't bother me or when I am happy or confident. I always had this problem from when I was little. Maybe I was born with this? My mum thinks I am weird.

I get memories from the past, and it plays in my mind over and over like a recorder - and I can stop it sometimes and I can't stop them sometimes. Last night I had these memories again, and I was finishing my monthlies, and I was emotional, I cried for a bit. I get memories popping in of good memories and it can go with intense emotions as well, when I am on.

Triggers can set it off, like TV programmes or something someone said. Most of the memories contain my mum mostly... sometimes with my friends. These memories are not bad, they are stupid little things that happened, like a conversation that I had with my mum few years ago about a TV programme.

Someone commented years ago that it was like if I was dying and talking about memories. It does feel like that but I know I am not dying. I hope you all know what I am talking about?

I don't understand why I am like this and why are these memories popping in my head? I'm getting a bit upset writing this and memories are flooding in.... that why I don't look at photos and they can make me cry and get depressed. Anyone has the same things as me? How can you stop these memories popping in the mind? I would be so happy if some people know what I am going through. Thank you!

Starry xx

Re: Random memories popping in my head

I get this, alot. It bothers me sometimes, sometimes it doesn't.
    You're not weird, it's normal. I think some people who are more on edge with emotions, whatever they be are probably effected more.

Try not to worry about it. If it's really bothering you go and see your doc.

Lizz,

Thank you for your answer - I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I had this all of my life and I don't want to go to see the doctor as they would prescibe me medication or counselling. I am at my worst when I am on periods along with panic attacks as well. I am having panic attacks today because of memories but I know i will be fine.

How do you stop these memories coming in your head? I would be grateful if you could tell me - did you go to your doctor and what happened? I think it's the hormones that causes it. Mum says that she can't do anything about it as she can't help me as she doesn't understand me.

Starry xx

Hi

Thought twice about replying to this as i,ve not experienced it .

My mum now in her seventies (touch wood has been ok for years ) had two bouts of anxiety and depression also with ocd , the ocd was checking the oven was off 5 or 6 times , doors locked , lights out etc...

One thing i remember her saying was random thoughts comeing into her head from things that happened years ago , and i should have said this / did i do the right thing etc...

She did end up on meds and made a full recovery , the first time took 6 months , the second three months as it was spotted early by my dad and went the docs quicker for the meds .

Don,t know if this relates or if any help but wanted to reply .

She had a relapse not long ago but needed no meds and sorted herself out

Hi Starry,

Personally I think this is completely normal? perhaps the way you spoke about it freaked your friend due to their own personal issues?

We all have short term and long term memories; short term is what you are concentrating on at that moment; which is why you aren't thinking of memories past at that time as your mind is fully occupied elsewhere.

When you have something that triggers a memory, you think about it, replay it in your mind, your advantage is they are good memories

Photo's mmmn thats the whole point of them? I know when my granma died reading the sympathy cards I recieved reminded me of happier times and I was soo grateful for that at the time.

I really wouldn't worry about getting emotional at that time of month as we all do , it isn't called the woman's curse for nothing

Lynnann

It's abit difficult to explain - it's like random memories appearing in your mind out of nowhere. It can be scary sometimes, and it can set off anxiety or panic attacks. I do have good memories but I don't want them to come back into my mind - it's like I'm in the memory and seeing how young I was and I'm older now. And childhood memories will appear too - I believe there has been other threads about this too.

I don't think this is normal for everybody - everybody just accepts the memories, they comment on it and forget the past but I don't, it always is there in my mind. It's a bit annoying.

Starry xx

Hi Starry,

Perhaps it's about your preconception of what is normal? You say "everybody just accepts the memories, they comment on it and forget the past" In the many conversations I have had with people, they don't do that; a lot of people dwell on times past times and many have long term behavioural patterns because of past events but people never forget their pasts it is part of what forges us into who we are.

Perhaps a course of CBT to give you coping stragegies for moving forward from these thoughts would be beneficial for you?

I wish you well with this and you find a path that enables you to move forward with this

Lynnann

My mum always says to me that she is not bothered by her memories and most of my family doesn't talk about their memories. It feels like my brain is full of the past! I haven't spoken to my doctor about this or getting CBT, but I am a bit nervous to do anything about my problems. I think it's because I'm getting older and the future seems very scary for me.

Thank you to all the answers and support!

It's a long story really.... sighs.

SDF xx

Hi Starry,

It usually is a long story that is generally the norm

Everyone is bothered by memories to different extents, not talking about them is a different thing from being bothered by them and is generally unhealthy as it bottles things up.

As for CBT you can do online courses It is just about training your brain to react differently to certain situations, recognising behavioural patterns and changing them.
    Not that scary really, you will set your own goals and work at your own pace

Take care and remember each day is a bright new day no matter your age

Lynnann

Thanks for your support Lynnann, I think I'm OK for now - until the next time!!! I appericate all of the comments - they have been helping me.

Starry xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information