Thread: exercise and panic

exercise and panic

so, panic and depression and quitting smoking and stress have allowed for the weight to stick a little closer to home. i have been slowly getting back into an exercise routine because doing too much brings on the panic.
    i recently got a dvd by a well known person and have started doing that. at first i was having anxiety/panic issues but i pushed through it and found that my stamina was greater and i could actually do it.
    however, today, i went to the next level as it was time and i felt ready. i had been doing so well so i really pushed myself. i felt great and was so proud because i hadn't been giving in to the anxiety/panic that had come up before and i didn't have any issues while working out.
    BUT THEN, after working out and cooling down and feeling so damn good, it came on. the feeling of dread, the in and out dp/dr, feeling like all energy was being drained out of me, palps, shakiness, chest felt tight. it was terrible. TERRIBLE!
    i don't want to give in to this. i want to continue working out. and i love doing these workouts and finally feeling strong again. and, obviously, getting in shape again. but how do i stop these feelings?
    of course, my head is telling me, see? you're weak and going to die if you keep doing this. your heart can't take it. i ended up laying down for about an hour and half because it was so uncomfortable.
    i really do hate feeling this way and want it to stop. there's a lot going on in my life, a lot of loss. my partner of almost 5 years and i are splitting up, something i don't want, and my son and i have to move and my father's health isn't doing well. i feel like at least i can work out and take care of my body.
    please help with reassurances. i'll probably call my doctor again just to get the ok, again, to work out. but, anyone have any advice, suggestions? could it have been a normal coming down from an intense workout and i just took it too far? could it have been low blood pressure from an intense workout?
    help. thanks.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

also, now i've got this odd feeling of fluttering that starts in my upper chest and goes into my throat. like a flutter/tickle type of thing. i've had fluttering in my chest that usually lasts a few seconds. hate those and have been learning to ignore them. but this is new for me. it's been there since after i worked out.
    ideas? should i be concerned?

Re: exercise and panic

hi there

I have the fluttering, if your in your 30's it can be common.. I went to A&E when i first got mine lol. nothing to worry about.
    The fact you have stopped smoking and are working out is a great postive thing to do, and will certainly help you on your road to recovery.
    Do you drink alot of tea/coffee? cutting down will certainly help with the flutters if you do. Also drinking plenty of water is great.. though avoid the fruit flavoured ones.
    The mere fact your working out, and you feel good is a great sign things are ok.

keep doing what your doing dude, great heath is a great tool for panic attacks .

best wishes

I agree with times71. Keep moving forward. Physical activity sure helped me with my anxiety disorder. There will always be days where you won't be able to do as much as the day before. The point is to just exercise and give yourself a break once in awhile.. don't push yourself to hard. Enjoy being active... make it fun. You can do it. All the best, Michael45

Hello all. As somebody who has anxiety and panic attacks I sometimes assume that everything I feel or experience is related to it. For instance, when I do some exercise I become out of breath etc and for a long time I thought I was having a panic attack. It took me a long time to realise that that was the effect of exercise.

Flutters in throat...yep...big issue for me. Water helps me and sucking a mint or sweet just until it goes.

Jo x

Quote Originally Posted by jojo79 View Post
    Hello all. As somebody who has anxiety and panic attacks I sometimes assume that everything I feel or experience is related to it. For instance, when I do some exercise I become out of breath etc and for a long time I thought I was having a panic attack. It took me a long time to realise that that was the effect of exercise.
    This is a really good point. I feel like I've lost all sense of what my normal bodily sensations are! I do tend to get panicky after exercising (I have a 45 minute bus ride to sit there and think about it which is not good). My problem post exercise is that I get obsessed with my breathing and heart rate even though I'm sure it's a normal post workout breathing and heart rate. That's when I start breathing too deeply, get tight chest/rib sensation, and go into the whole "your heart can't take it!" panic.

Just keep going. Exercise helps in the long run and it's not going to hurt you. Unless you're getting extreme sensations (i.e. major chest pain, truly cannot breath, etc.), chances are it's just panic.

Quote Originally Posted by xvolatileheart View Post
    This is a really good point. I feel like I've lost all sense of what my normal bodily sensations are! I do tend to get panicky after exercising (I have a 45 minute bus ride to sit there and think about it which is not good). My problem post exercise is that I get obsessed with my breathing and heart rate even though I'm sure it's a normal post workout breathing and heart rate. That's when I start breathing too deeply, get tight chest/rib sensation, and go into the whole "your heart can't take it!" panic.
    This is what I find, too!

Last time I went running, (last year!) - it was very cold and windy. Half way round I became aware of how uncomfortable and cold I was feeling, and suddenly realised there was nothing I could do at that moment to get out of that situation! This brought on an immediate feeling of panic, and mega-burst of palpitatins!

Also I hate the "spaced out" sensation you get after exercise. I used to like this feeling "runner's high" - but now I associate it with the "de-personalisation" feelings you get with anxiety, and don't really like it. I just try to stay as still as possible, and wait half an hour or so for it to pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    Also I hate the "spaced out" sensation you get after exercise. I used to like this feeling "runner's high" - but now I associate it with the "de-personalisation" feelings you get with anxiety, and don't really like it. I just try to stay as still as possible, and wait half an hour or so for it to pass!
    I completely know what you mean. I feel the EXACT same way, totally spaced out and feel like I'm going mad. It's like we've negatively retrained all of our normal bodily sensation. Guess all we can do is try to retrain them with positive associations!

Try energy sweets after/during exercise! Exercise + anxiety = Low blood sugar! This will make a panic attack more likely! Keep your sugar levels up without over-indulging!!

Also, like someone said, you don't have to push so much! Take it steady and build up slowly! Being patience will pay off you are on the right track! Go for it

Thread Information