Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At wits end with throat sensation

At wits end with throat sensation

Hi all. Some of you might have read my previous throat concerns. Anyway briefly, I've had a sensation of something in left side of throat for 6/7 months. No problem swallowing, no visible lumps in mouth,no hoarseness and no lumps I'm neck. I've seen 4 docs since August and had full blood tests. Docs say probably globus, but it concerns me that it's mostly one sided. There have been times when I'm not do aware, for instance when I took diazepam for a short time. But at the moment it's driving me crazy and I'm at my wits end, and feel terrified that I will be stuck with this forever, and also there's the little voice that pops up saying "maybe you have throat cancer, and it's going to be too late for you ". Feels good to write it out. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how I can cope with this it woukd be much appreciated.

Re: At wits end with throat sensation

You won't have it forever. Just until you stop focusing on it.

If you've seen the Dr 4 times, I doubt that he'd have overlooked signs of cancer or anything else serious. You need to trust him and the test results.

Globus is horrible, I know, but mine only really left when I read up about it and realise it was nothing to worry about. Btw mine was only on one side too, the left side.

It's actually just a muscle that you use when you swallow that hasn't relaxed. Just the same as a muscle spasm anywhere else in your body.

Apparently you can get physio for it, but often just the action of eating and swallowing will help to relax it. But mainly I'd say it's anxiety that's causing yours so you need to find a way to convince your mind that this isn't anything serious and hopefully you'll stop worrying about it and stop focusing on it, then it'll relax.

CBT should help too.

Mine is one sided also and sometimes in the middle like something is dangling at the back of my throat, I was diagnosed with Globus last year February & it still has not left me only because my anxiety is not managed.....(my own doing) - sometimes when I swallow it feels like I am swallowing on something but then soon goes..

Thank you for your replies. It does make me feel a little better knowing others have the one sided sensation. I'm working on my anxiety but it's not easy as we all know.

No its not easy however when you start to forget your throat sensation and concentrate on something else I realize it does dissipate for a few days but then back full force when things get a little hectic again, lets all hang in there and hopefully our throats will be better soon...

Hi there!
    i also get one sided globus, sometimes it'll alternate between left and right but it's usually on the left, it doesn't always have to be in the middle like you would believe, it can be pretty scary and uncomfortable actually because sometimes i'll think that i'm actually choking x

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Winter View Post
    Hi there!
    i also get one sided globus, sometimes it'll alternate between left and right but it's usually on the left, it doesn't always have to be in the middle like you would believe, it can be pretty scary and uncomfortable actually because sometimes i'll think that i'm actually choking x
    YUP! I feel this too, its horrible

Hi there! x.
    i also get Globus like you and many others, i also get one sided just like you and my Other half Sam does, my silent reflux defo makes it worse, i find soothing things like Chamomile and honey tea helps, also things like sucking on sweets also help dim the sensations down, if you're more anxious it will probably feel worse because that's unfortunately what Globus what likes to do x

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Winter View Post
    Hi there!

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Little update. I have been back to the doctor today. I saw a different doctor and she was so lovely. She explained all the reasons why this cannot be anything sinister, length of time I've had it (6 months) no red flag symptoms.
    . She gave me a short course of diazepam to be taken as and when and advised me to double my antidepressant (sertraline) from 50 mg to 100mg, and to come back in a month if no better. She said she did not think it needs further investigation and if she thought it did she would insist on it. This is the first time I've left the doctors not feeling hopeless and unsure. As I was on my way home I could feel my throat relax, and I felt so much less panicky than I have in ages. I took a diazepam and for the past few hours I've had virtually no horrible sensations in my throat. I can't believe that this morning I was convinced I had cancer, such is the power of the anxious mind.

Great news Primula, glad you feel better about it all.

With a bit of luck simply having the diaz might reduce your anxiety.

50mg is a low dose for Sert so the increase in dose maybe all you need to get this sorted once and for all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information