Thread: co-codamol 30-/500 withdrawal IBS ?

co-codamol 30-/500 withdrawal IBS ?

Hello I am worried about whats going on with my digestive system , mainly diarrhea and cramping with lower abdomen discomfort especially after eating , I really need to go quickly .
    I have been to my GP who actually put me on a laxative called movicol because she thinks there has been a comaction further back due to long bouts of constipation due to co-codamol 30/500 miss use ( on these things for about 4 years around 10 -12 per day .
    Has anyone experienced this tummy upset with stopping opiate pain killers , have I damaged the bowel I wonder , then I start to worry that its something nasty down there . There is no blood but some sharp shooting pain in the rectum and lots of wind , this has been going on for 4 weeks since i went cold turkey on the pain killers . Is it just a coincidence or am I being all worried for nothing , I have to add I am having a stressful time job wise just now also .

Thanks for reading .

Re: co-codamol 30-/500 withdrawal IBS ?

I was taking lots of pain killers for tension headaches then stopped suddenly. Now my IBS has kicked off big style. I don't think its a withdrawal, I think its irritation (for me at least). Stress wont be helping you; my IBS has come back with bad nausea too and the only thing I can link it to is being stressed and taking all those pain killers. Don't worry x

It is very likely that the stomache problems are down to the withdrwal of co-codamol ..As you say they make you constipated .I also take these for Pain and when ive had to take a lot on occassions I too have had change in bowel motions and frequency when ive stopped taking them .The pain in the rectum is wind ,but this can also be down to constipation ,or trapped faeces .Try Taking some Buscopan for a few days this will stop the spasms and help with the pain .Also try some Fybogel ,this will bulk out the stools and help with the trapped wind .Its often used for IBS and is good for upset stomaches as well as constipation .Avoid white bread and cakes ,beans .peas cauliflower and pulses .Spicy food and carbonated drinks .As these produce too much gas .See how you are in a week .My bet is you will see some improvement to some of all of your symptoms .Hope you feel better soon .Above all try not to worry ,as this will cause an autonic reaction in the muscles of the bowel and it will prolong things needlessly .T/c Sue x

I have IBS but take Co Dydramol for arthritis....it can cause quite severe constipation even in lesser doses. I would take your dr's advice and the Movicol is really effective ( I have had to have that before). I found that the constipation caused by the pain killers trritated my IBS and produced these symptoms. I am sure that the Movicol will help and I do not think the odd Buscopan will hurt. When your bowel movements return to normal, your symptoms will most likely disappear. X

Hi
    After reading your post i'm a bit worried about the amount of co-codomol you are taking, I have been on these for years and it was stressed to me that you must NOT take more than 8 a day.
    This can certainly muck up your system, when i tried coming off of them my withdrawal affects were severe shaking etc and had to go back on them.
    Just wanted to say please be careful of the dose you take, it's the paracetomol that you have to be careful about.
    Hope you didn't mind my mentioning this.
    Last edited by nanny; 19-05-11 at 07:35. Reason: spelling ....doh!!!

Thank you all for your replies .
    I will take all the advise you gave me and work to cut out the foods you mention Sue .
    I got my liver checked and it was fine ( was worried about the paracetamol / codeine ) , no harm cause thank God .

its strange that when I go hungry for say 4 or 5 hours the symptoms are better , its only when I eat that things get upset .

i have to say I have been going through some rough times job wise and been extremely stressed out after the bad winter and in a job i hated .
    Somehow though this all kicked off at the same time as i gave up the pain killers ( about 6 weeks now) .

As i say I will try everything you tell me here and get back to you .

Bless

Tom

Hi Tamo,

The symptoms you are describing are classic of opiate use as in high doses it can cause constipation. Movicol will allow the body to bulk up the faeces and allow you too pass the stool more easily. YOU must however drink plenty of water and this will ease the symptoms.

With the co-codamol you MUST not take more than 8 in 24 hours as this can cause stomach upsets and the pains you are experiencing.

If you do have any queries then please speak to your local Pharmacist or Pharmacy Technician - we can provide advice on your issues and we are confidential.

Dave

Thread Information