Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety cause a SORE throat symptom?

Can anxiety cause a SORE throat symptom?

Hello all,

The reason I’m back to the forum, I appear to have a strange anxiety symptom, which is not mentioned in any of my anxiety reference books at home and I was wondering if any other anxiety sufferers experience this symptom.

I posted on the forum about a month ago about this symptom, which I was experiencing and the doctor said no signs of anything growing or cancer (to put my mind at rest).

As it happens, I discovered a lump on my neck, which as if it was magic, the throat soreness disappeared any my anxiety levels focused on this lump on the neck.

Well, to cut a story short, the lump has disappeared and I was at and the chap who sits next to me was moaning (not a nice word but true) about his sore throat. Well, I started to think to myself “I hope I don’t get it” but by magic I felt something when I swallowed and then my brain focused on the throat and for the last 5 days I have had this sore throat symptom.

It does not hurt when I swallow but it feels like a constant soreness. Sucking a sweet gets rid of the soreness, so does eating and drinking and as the evening gets later (11pm – 12am), the throat settles down (it’s as if my brain can not be bothered anymore at that time of the night).

Hope I did not go on too much, but I would just like to know if anybody else sufferers with this symptom and is their any reassurance?

Red

hi Red
    i had a sore throat for months some time back and i thought i had a bad illness, i kept going to the doctors who said i had a bug he said theres alot of it going about,or its anxiety,of course i didnt believe him but eventually it went away so there you go,at the moment im panicking about sinuses and tension headaches ive noticed that we seem to have common symptons m8 from reading n.m.p lately i know its anxiety causing this but sometimes it really gets you down doasnt it? its hard for us blokes to handle it at times as we are ment to be strong and tough in societys eyes im allways asking my wife for reassurance but it can be hard on her,sorry m8 ive ditracted a bit p.m me if you want anytime and im sure your sore throat is anxiety
    Mick

hello!
    just to let you know, i have a sore throat that has now been around for about 2 months so far..also dry at times and a constant lump...it is eased by eating and not there when i wake, but returns soon after..i too have been to the doc a few times now, and she said it also is stress..im trying not to think about it, tho i have times when i freak out a bit and my mind thinks the worst possible..but for now im trying to hangin there and heal myself..cross fingers...sucking on soothers helps temporarliy..
    you will actually find a lot of ppl in here with these symptoms...apparently it is one of the main symptoms of anxiety...so take care..and you are definatly not alone in this..

Honestly? It seems anxiety can cause ANYTHING.
    Anxiety caused my sore throat because anxiety caused me to not eat (still is.) which caused me to have a dry throat which then caused a sore throat. It's insane what anxiety can do to you.

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

xoxox

I think it can cause a sore/dry throat. I've only recently recognised the fact I have a problem with heath anxiety but, looking back years ago, I remember I always used to dread getting coughs and colds. Well who doesn't but I would dwell on it if something big was coming up like a birthday, holiday or Christmas. But whenever anyone at work/school admitted to having a cold or sore throat I used to develop one. Not a cold, just throat dryness and discomfort that wouldn't turn into the cold itself. Reason being, well I think so anyway, that I'd be sat there thinking "have I got it? have I got it?" and swallowing and thinking "does that hurt?" I really think focussing on anything is half the problem.

Hi Red, I think I spoke to you about this. I had a lump in my throat and sore throats for about four months. My friend also had the same thing. We both had a scope to look into our throats. Nothing wrong. We were told it was stress and anxiety. It causes the throst to tighten and this causes tension in the throat and neck, which then causes problems when speaking all the time as the muscles don't relax. This then causes soreness. Relax your throat, exercise your neck area.
    Hope this helps

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Re: Can anxiety cause a SORE throat symptom?

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
    Hello all,

The reason I’m back to the forum, I appear to have a strange anxiety symptom, which is not mentioned in any of my anxiety reference books at home and I was wondering if any other anxiety sufferers experience this symptom.

I posted on the forum about a month ago about this symptom, which I was experiencing and the doctor said no signs of anything growing or cancer (to put my mind at rest).

As it happens, I discovered a lump on my neck, which as if it was magic, the throat soreness disappeared any my anxiety levels focused on this lump on the neck.

Well, to cut a story short, the lump has disappeared and I was at and the chap who sits next to me was moaning (not a nice word but true) about his sore throat. Well, I started to think to myself “I hope I don’t get it” but by magic I felt something when I swallowed and then my brain focused on the throat and for the last 5 days I have had this sore throat symptom.

It does not hurt when I swallow but it feels like a constant soreness. Sucking a sweet gets rid of the soreness, so does eating and drinking and as the evening gets later (11pm – 12am), the throat settles down (it’s as if my brain can not be bothered anymore at that time of the night).

Hope I did not go on too much, but I would just like to know if anybody else sufferers with this symptom and is their any reassurance?

Red
    i have the same issue as you red....

I am having a very similar thing.

I have had a sore throat for over 3 months that has now progressed to make my voice hoarse. The doctor has run loads of tests on me all of which have come back negative.

I on the other hand and certain I have lung cancer and the more I read about lung cancer the more I feel the symptoms.

I also have a numbness throughout my body which is also associated with lung cancer.

Even after the Doctor today said that nothing was wrong I went home and have tried to book up tests with a world leading cancer hospital.

The sore throat has brought on panic attacks which have been happening for the last 3 months.

I am not sure if my back pain is real or part of the anxiety that I am creating. I keep thinking to myself did I tell the Doctor everything or did I miss something out which is why I am getting the negative results.

Had sore throats fro ages and they come and go and I find it correlates with my anxiety levels - coincidence? :P

Reassuring to see that I'm not the only one experiencing a slightly sore throat. This started happening a few days ago. Sometimes my tongue feels a little sore, too - anyone else had this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information