Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long does propranolol stay in your system?

how long does propranolol stay in your system?

first post, hello

i've been prescribed with propranolol, 40mg twice daily......my sleep is a bit messed up at the moment so took my first one when i woke up at 11.......i know i will be up until 3 or later tonight so trying to space them out so i wont be feeling too bad when im trying to get to sleep

i'm trying to wait until about 8 for my next one but feeling a little bit edgy now.....

anyway, the original question.......how long does it take your body to metabolise (sp)?...could the 40mg all be used up by now and that's why i'm back on edge?

cheers

Re: how long does propranolol stay in your system?

Hi jindi, well there are people who only take 40mg a day, and you take 80mg, so your doc must think you need to take this amount. I take 80mg propranolol a day too, but mine is in a slow release pill that i only take in the mornings.

It can be that there are peaks and dips taking them as seperate doses, and probably because they block the adrenaline from reaching your heart, they can make you feel quite relaxed, so yes it could be that one dose wears off before you take the next, so you could be feeling your anxiety inbetween doses.

Cathy

yeah that's what i thought....been feeling ok so far today until around this time.......only an hour and 15 mins to go .....i'll probably get worked up later again anyway, i did the silly thing and read the "sleep disturbances" in the side effects........dohhh!

Its ok to take other meds aa well as betablockers, and if you have trouble sleeping, the pharmacist recomended something like Nytol Herbal, which is completely natural, and quite safe. Just a thought...xxx

i'm ok once i get to sleep, i just end up falling asleep and waking up at silly times

amazing how this med works.....it's only my first day...last night before i took them i tested my heartbeat (when i wasnt feeling so bad) and it was around 120bpm! .... timed beats for 10 sec then times by 6

anyway, tonight it's down to 72bpm a little bit worried but happy at the same time (if that makes sense).... i keep feeling like i get a funny feeling with my heartbeat every now and then but i'm not sure... i'll see how i get on the next couple days

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy V View Post
    Hi jindi, well there are people who only take 40mg a day, and you take 80mg, so your doc must think you need to take this amount. I take 80mg propranolol a day too, but mine is in a slow release pill that i only take in the mornings.

It can be that there are peaks and dips taking them as seperate doses, and probably because they block the adrenaline from reaching your heart, they can make you feel quite relaxed, so yes it could be that one dose wears off before you take the next, so you could be feeling your anxiety inbetween doses.

Cathy
    I'm going to start taking my 80 slow release at night, see if it helps at all with my anxious feelings and my sleep. Most of my anxiety problems happen at home and at night

Hello, I had been on propranolol 80mg for just 4 days for stress and slight anxiety and they made me feel terrible, i felt faint and had a very slow heart rate so my doctor advised me to come off them,that was last friday. I'm still suffering from the side effects i feel terrible. i've got a very tight chest which hurts when i breathe and my throat feels like its closing in its just weird very hard to explian, my arms and legs feel tingly and i've felt faint on occasions to. I went to the doctors and i was told it was a bad reaction to propranolol im wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me or if anyone knows how long it takes to get out of your system completley. i feel awful

Last edited by pixiebell; 21-11-08 at 12:26.

aww sorry to hear that pixie.. I have had funny feelings when taking them such as feeling cold or increased anxiety and dizziness. It may be that these tablets just are not for you. They shouldnt stay in your system for very long. If I was you I would not take anything for a few days then maybe try something natural like Kalms after meals

matt x

you mean propranlol can heighten your anxiety ?

I just read the side affects again, no wonder I can't bloody sleep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information