Thread: Funny cramp like pain in ribs!!

Funny cramp like pain in ribs!!

Ok, this is something I woke up with that has lasted all day!! Its like a cramping pain in my ribs, just under the left breast and goes around to the back. It hurts to take a deep breath, however I have no other symptoms of any kind, apart from anxiety related symptoms!!

I did take some indigestion mixture thinking it might be that, but it's not, I thought that it might have been the way I was sleeping! or just muscular pain. Anyway i'm at a loss, its just another thing i'm worrying about right now.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Re: Funny cramp like pain in ribs!!

Hi, im new, but yes i too have had these symptoms, its to do with tensing yourself because you feel anxious. Please take care xxx

OHHHH yes!! When I had a phase 2 months ago of severe panic, I had that pain for 3 weeks! I was in and out of the doctor because I couldnt get rid of it. It also started to come up in other places (behind the shoulder blades, right rib ext). The doctor said it was from tension caused by anxiety.

yeah sounds like your muscle is tense, try taking a bath, stretching and massaging the area. you might just need to sleep it off.

i have the exact same thing at the moment, doctor diagnosed me with costrochondritis a couple of months back (inflamation of the cartilidge on the ribs) nothing serious just uncomfortable, having my worst bout of it so far and its making me anxious, which in turn is making it worse as always whilst its going on i convince myself its something else more serious grrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Every single person on your mum and dad's side
    Successfully looked after and passed on to you life.
    What are the chances of that, like?
    It comes to me once in a while
    And everywhere I tell folk it gets the best smile.

JUST CARRY ON REGARDLESS

isnt it strange how anxiety canmake you have so many diff symtoms wierd ,problem is we no longer get rid of one than somethin else appears

Hi thanks for your responses they have been great. I did ring the dr today as this is now the 2nd day of having this. He asked if i have a temp or cough, both of which i dont have. He said it was to do with the muscles inbetween the ribs. Thats why it hurts when i take a deep breath. Nothing serious, just uncomfortable. Told me to take painkillers and take it easy. Its still a worry, just one thing after another.

I think the worst anxiety is anticipation anxiety, waiting for the next batch of vague symptoms to come along and stress me out!!!!

Well after 3-4 days the pain in my ribs is slowing going , still a little pain there, especially when I sneeze, but certainly not as bad as it was. I found out that there are muscles inbetween the ribs, and they can be pulled or strained. I kinda knew that i'd start the new year in with a HA related issue! lets hope this one doesnt hang around to long.

Thread Information