Thread: Strange feeling in jaw and chattering teeth

Strange feeling in jaw and chattering teeth

I’ve been suffering from my current bout of health anxiety for about three months now, and it’s been quite a bad one (concern about neurological disorders). I’ve had too many strange things going on to list, but one in particular is causing me a lot of concern at the moment and I’m wondering if anyone else had experienced this as a symptom of anxiety.

I have become a bit obsessed with my jaw and I don’t seem to be able to relax it, basically it feels really loose (although my dentist said it was a bit stiff when I went for a regular check up). I know for the last month or so at least I’ve been holding it in a strange position a lot as if I’m clenching the teeth on the right side of my mouth and/or holding my lower jaw to the right, but now when I try to relax it, it doesn’t seem to rest like it normally would; no position feels comfortable or relaxed. As a result I am moving it round a lot, although obviously this is more when I am thinking about it.

Also (yes there is more) my teeth chatter together a lot when I hold them lightly together (not clenched) – is this normal? It could be something that happens to everyone but I’ve never noticed before, and now in my heightened state of anxiety I am really worried about it?

I have actually seen a neurologist about my wider symptoms (as I had convinced myself I had a terminal disorder) and he said I am ok, which is fantastic; but like all hypochondriacs I can’t help still being scared about it in my frequent less lucid moments.

Thanks

Re: Strange feeling in jaw and chattering teeth

Hi,

I get this alot and its usually when my anxiety levels are high. This I think is tension. When you are anxious you cannot help but tense up all over and my jaws in particular seem to be affected most. It feels sometimes like my face muscles are quivering and might give way at any moment which is an alarming sensation. When the anxiety drops though is seems to improve.

You case may not be the same but I think it will still most likely be related to anxious tension.

All the best

Nechtan

Hi, I'm glad you bought up ther subject of chattering teeth, because the last time I went to the dentist and she was checking my jaw/bite, she told me to rest my top teeth on the bottom teeth and my teeth chattered that much that I couldn't do it. I asked the dentist what would cause the chattering and she said it was tension in my jaw. It sounds as if all your jaw problems are caused by the inability to relax too.
    I have to remember to relax my jaw during the day as it is always so tense, and at night I wear a gum shield to stop myself grinding my teeth and also biting my tongue = one night I bit badly into my tongue = oh the joys of anxiety. As a matter of interest, as I am writing this I tried to put my bottom teeth and my top teeth together and they are still chattering away.
    I phoned my cousin after that trip to the dentist and got her to check her teeth and her chattered as well. Guess we a just a load of chatterers!!

I have discovered something else as well (from insessant checking) - when I relax my jaw it can't seem to find a relaxed position, it sort of drops to the middle and then after a while veers off to the left, although that isn't relaxed either and when I try to relax it it goes back to the middle. I am also obsessed with my mouth, thinking my teeth are moving position and my tongue isn't central etc, although my dentist assures me everything is ok in that regard and when I dare to stick my tongue out in front of the mirror it is straight as an arrow (although moves a lot, which I suppose is normal).

I know it is difficult to take your thoughts away from your jaw/mouth,tongue area, but if you can distract yourself you will find that your jaw relaxes. I still get fixated and I do know how difficult it is, but your problems I am sure are all caused by stress and trying to pay no attention to the area is a good way of curing it. Keep posting and let us know how you get on

I agree. You need to distract yourself with reading or the like so that you are not concentrating on your jaw. Making an attempt not to concentrate on your jaw won't work. This is something I have just been reading about. By trying not to think about something you have to think about it. The example I read was to try not thinking of a pink elephant. The first thing you do is get a pink elephant in your head so you know what to think about.

When you distract yourself your mind concentrates elsewhere and doesn't linger on those recurring issues like your jaw. As posted above that will in itself relax your jaw.

Nechtan

I have to admit, as an HA sufferer I have been worrying that what I have been experiencing is due to jaw weakness (which of course would be due to a terminal condition) - maybe it is tension so thanks for replying. Its weird how it seems to veer off when I try to relax it though, maybe it isn't actually relaxed and I am subconciously making it do that.

Thread Information