Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear...migraine aura!

Exclamation Oh dear...migraine aura!

Hey guys.

After spending the past 12 months a nervous wreck over my migraine auras it now appears that my 12 year old daughter has inherited the dreaded gene!!!
    I'm really worried how I'm going to deal with this. I've been freaking out since the school rang me to collect her this morning! She had all the same symptoms that I experience but I keep worrying how am I going to fix this! I don't want this for her! I'm so so scared. I worry so badly about what they could do to damage her health! I remember being 11 when my mum got the call many years ago and she freaked and raced me to the dr thinking Something serious was happening to me! Since that episode, I didn't have another one until last year at the age of 33!!!! But i didn't stop at one...I ended up with 10 in one year! I know my mum has had the odd one over the years but not as frequent as what I experienced last year!
    Could someone please shed some light and reassure me that my daughter will be ok and these are just nothing to be afraid of???

Kel x

Re: Oh dear...migraine aura!

Hi Kelley,
    I used to get migraines when I was young, sometimes severe phsical excercise would bring them on like school athletics. But I grew out of them. My son also had one when he was about 14 - whether this was inherited or not I have no idea. But he has not had one since. The way to deal with your daughter is to reassure her because although they are rotten they will not damage her. Try to stay calm when your daughter is having one.
    All the best,
    Baggs.

Thankyou baggs.....I will do that. Have you or your son ever experienced an aura before a migraine? I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Kel

Hi
    I started with migraine during my first pregnancy when i was 18, i havent had many since, maybe around 10 in total and Im 39 now, dont know what causes them with me.
    My daughter had 2 or 3 when she was about 14 and then hasnt had any since - shes 20 now. My son had his first about a month ago after being on his computer for a long time, started with the aura then just a slight headache, I panicked, but im sure theres nothing to worry about - there very common in children x

Hi Kelley,
    Not too sure what you mean by aura - the first sign I had of a migraine coming on was disturbed vision. There was a blank patch dead centre. Then I knew what I was in for. Then came the headache then came the puking. By the next day I was okay. When your daughter is going through this she needs a calm and reassuring mother. I wish you all the best.
    Baggs.

Hello Keeley
    My first migraine with aura came during my two pregnancies 7 & 4 years ago I found them sooo frightening.

I dont know what your symptoms are but I would suddenly notice that parts of my vision would be missing and then the classic zig-zag thing would come in my vision and then a headache an hour or so later.

I never experienced them after pregnancy until this last year when I have had several 'attacks' during my period for some reason.

My mum started getting migraine with aura when she was pregnant with me and has had them ever since (nearly 40 years!) so I imagine they can be heriditary(sp?).

Although my 7 year old son hasnt experienced the same symptoms he often complains that 'everything has gone small'. The opticians and gps were'nt much help so I googled it and it is called 'Alice in wonderland' syndrome which they say is a form of migraine!

I hope your daughter doesnt suffer too much with migraines but if she does it is common and although we may feel like nervous wrecks inside worry about them, hopefully if we can reassure our children and they will grow up to accept them and not worry too much about it and let it pass. Failing that my friend suffers from terrible migraines but has some fantastic medication from the gps which really help

Hi its very common to start them during puberty, you will see many of the posts saying they started in teens. Try and stay calm with her as at least you have experience with them yourself so know she will not come to any harm. I have had migrains and my son developed them when he was older. x

Oh thankyou so much to all of you! It helps so so much.....my auras always start with the blind spot in my vision and progress to having no perephial vision in that eye and all up lasting half hr, which is exactly what my daughter had today then followed by a headache and numbness / tingling in my hand and arm and mouth....this is the symptom that freaks me out! Bella had it too today and I kept telling myself it was just a migraine! Does any of you get this? I really hope she is like you guys and doesn't get any or many more before she's an adult! So scary to think what caused it and how to avoid it happening again! I keep panicking thinking what if it keeps coming back!!!

xxx

If it does come back you know what it is, but take her and have her checked just so its on her records that she has started having migraines.
    When i first had one i was driving and i looked at a road sign and the middle letterss were missing a complete blank in the centre, then in the distance i could see orange/yellow zig zag lines it looked as if i would be able to reach out and touch them. I ended up terified in a eye hospital where they checked me over and said oh yeah migraine ... nothing to worry about.
    My son gets a strange feeling and a feeling like the light isnt right then he gets a curtain of orange come over one eye which goes black and he cant see for a while in one eye, his arm and face tingle. If he goes into a dark room he can see zig zag lines on the outside of his vision and within half an hour it clears. However he is 23 and it still scares him every time and he rings home
    My god daughter ( 13) has just started having them and she has had about 5 in a month and the doctors said this can happen when they start and are not concerned. But take her to the gp because he may suggest a medication that suits her better x

Thankyou Rocky Dog. Your reply has helped me pull myself together.....it just seems to be something that not alot of people get or talk about. I don't know anyone within our circle that suffers other than my mum who gets them a bit different to me and can't remember having them at a younger age cause her memory isn't fantastic! Although I remember her complaining of them when I was young so she would've been about my age.....I guess I'm still in denial and disbelief....
    Your experience sounds just like mine...I get the blind spot for like 10 mins then some mild squiggly zig zags and then just squiggly all over my perhephial and I then lose the sight in the perephial and then it's over. But I also have the pain on the opposite side by the end of it.....are you male or female rocky dog?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information