Thread: Introducing myself

Introducing myself

Hi everyone,

I'm a 38 year old guy from Uk who is using this site for the first time. From the age of five I have suffered with anxiety. At first it was just about being late for school or being told off by a teacher. When I was 17 I had my first real panic attack and began to have irrational thoughts and worries particularly about germs and catching illnesses. This really interfered with my study during a levels etc. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder. The obsessive compulsive disorder is mainly in the area of thinking but sometimes in behaviours too. It is cyclical and usually triggered by stressful life events. The anxiety/ panic attacks have been a real bane of my life however. I have struggled with this on and off for years. Anyway, since october 2010, following a relationship break up, I had a major panic attack on the way to work. Since then I have been unable to leave my flat although I can go out for a few minutes as long as I can see the front of flat. Was just wondering if there is anyone on hear who suffers from agoraphobia/anxiety and has a similar story? Would be lovely to hear from you because as you may know one of the things about this illness is that it makes you feel very .isolated

Hi Homealone73

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: Introducing myself

Hello Homealone73,

I'm fairly new to the site too, having only joined last Monday. I've found everyone to be very friendly and helpful and I'm sure you will too.

My own anxiety attacks started last summer and since then I've unfortunately allowed agoraphobia to enter the situation too. I know how miserable and limiting it can be, so you're not alone!

But with the support of everyone on here and good treatment I'm sure we'll get through it

"What you resist, persists." - C. G. Jung

Hi there and

You've got quite a similar history to me except my anxiety hasn't manifested itself as agoraphobia but more general anxiety.

I had a really bad relationship breakup in 2002 and my anxiety got completely out of control and this was the first time I took AD medication, which really helped. I've had ups and downs over the years but anxiety has never been far away.

Having said all that, I remain positive and will never stop fighting. I'm not sure I'll ever be completely free of anxiety but I live in hope and refuse to let it beat me - it has already taken away too much of life and I know when enough's enough.

I know you'll get a lot out of this site - I have.

Take care and keep posting

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi, I also suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and sporadic agoraphobia.
    At the moment I am forcing myself to go out, even though I rarely speak to anyone as this brings on panic attacks.
    In the winter I did not even open the curtains in my house.
    I force myself to go out, even if only for a walk around the block, or top of the street.
    I know I have to constantly fight my fears and symptoms.
    If you need to chat, happy to talk.

Hi Homealone73, I too suffer from panic attacks and agrophobia im currently working with a psycologist to help overcome my issues around going out like you i can only go so far as the second my door is no longer visable i begin to have major panic attack and like you i felt lonely and isolated and felt i was the only person who this was happening to but then i found NMP and what a difference that has made to me knowing i can talk to fellow sufferers and know im not alone anymoreand im among people who understand. It will take time and a lot of effort to overcome our agrophobia but with the right help and support we can get there. everyone on NMP are supportive, understanding and lovely to talk to your not alone anymore hun always happy to lend an ear hun. Agnes30 xxxx

Thread Information