Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St John's Wort and 5-HTP together ?

St John's Wort and 5-HTP together ?

Hi

Has anyone taken St John's Wort and 5-HTP together ?

SJW acts like an SSRI, slowing re-uptake of Seratonin.
    5-HTP encourages production of Seratonin.

I have just started (5 days ago) taking St John's Wort. I have 5-HTP also, but have not started taking them yet, as I have found so much conflicting information on the internet as to whether they are safe to take together.

Some people swear by taking them together they each enhance each others effectiveness.

Others warn that the combination can contribute toward 'Seratonin Syndrome', which is none to pleasant.

Just interested to hear if anyone has any experience of combining these two, or any thoughts in general ?

Many thanks
    Dave

So many readers but no replies ? Anyone ?

i have read your post before, but never answered as i really do not know! have you tried he search bar? or contacted one of the suppliars? better still, contact your local chemist they should tell you over the phone aswell.
    Becci x

Hi Dave,

I looked into it myself and although some said it was ok, some also said it wasn't. I wasn't happy about the conflicting info so I stopped both and now have starting taking relora.

There has been blind studies done of Relora and other comprehensive tests along side, which is more reassuring.

Hope you find the information you're looking for.

TC x

You could also have a look at the SJW Info Pages which has information about both St John's Wort and 5HTP.

Karen

I asked the same question in my local health food shop and they said not to use the 2 together, but to use one or other.

I have also read a book by Patrick Holford about Optimum Nutrition for the Mind (I think that's what it was called) and he seemed to insinuate however that you could use both. He has a website that you might find of interest (just do a search on Patrick Holford and you'll find it!) - and they answer questions if you contact them, so you may find a definite answer from them.

Meanwhile, I decided to stick to SJW as I wasn't convinced of the safety or benefits of using both.

Re: St John's Wort and 5-HTP together ?

I use both together...works for me.

see: www.doctormurray.com/articles/worteditorial.htm

Hey djm,

I take 300mg or 5-htp daily & rant on about it all the time....it has worked wonders for me. However my knowledge is that it should not be taken with St Johns wort as they both contain the same ingredients practically and increase serotonin levels. I have done a lot of personal research on this remedy and i have interpreted that it should not be taken with St johns wort as it can lead to Serotonin syndome in some cases. This is basically an overload of serotonin levels which can heighten many anxiety symptoms and can also be very dangerous.
    I personally was unfortunate in experiencing this myself having been prescribed sertraline back in march. It did not agree with my body & i ended up in hospital for 24 hours as i had awful problems. Hence the research on a natural remedy for myself to take instead of the synthetic meds on the market.

However i suggest that if you are in doubt & would like to try combining the 2 i would maybe get the advice of an alternative medicine dr...or another health professional to clarify your concerns.

Best Wishes

Nicola

I would probably think it would not be good idea to take 5 HTP and St. John's Wart together, at the same time. I've found a list of other drugs not to take in conjunction with 5 HTP, and although SJW isn't on there, it's generally agreed upon that it shouldn't be taken with any other meds that affect serotonin levels. One thing you could do if you want to be sure is to have your serotonin levels measured before and after going on 5 HTP. If they don't change, then maybe talk to a doctor or holistic doctor about taking both, or other options.

Please know that just because you can get it over the counter and it appears to be a herb does not mean it should be taken lightly. be careful about self medicating.

The only person I would ask this kind of advice would be a psychiatrist, they were Dr first then went on another few years to become psychiatrists.

Wher in the world can you talk to a Dr and get answers for over an hour!!

they are helpful and know what meds do what even herbal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information