Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does Diazepam stay in the system?

Question How long does Diazepam stay in the system?

Just a quickie, if you take a 2mg tab of Diazepam, how long would it work for? Also, is it really noticeable when it wears off or do you just feel good because you may have achieved something whilst you were using it??

Thanks

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you fear....."

Ozzy Guest

Re: How long does Diazepam stay in the system?

it has a half life of around 20-100 hours

u can get all the info from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam

hope it helps

my psych reckons it's effective for 16 hours

Hi

I think it stays in the body for a few hours but the noticeable effects only last for a couple of hours.
    When I was going into hospital for tests, the Doctor told me to take my diazepam 2 hours before my appointment so the effects would have worn off before the tests were carried out. I think it stays in the body for much longer (in the organs etc before it is excreted) but the effects wear off long before then. Also, when I was younger and was prescribed valium more readily, I was taking it at intervals 3 times a day - there would be no need to do this if its effects were not wearing off.
    I have just looked at the page Ozzy added and it says that the drug reaches it's peak (maximum effect) between 30 minutes and 2 hours, so that seems to tie in with what the Doctor told me. After 2 hours the drugs effects will be wearing off as your body will be metabolising it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx
    Last edited by shoegal; 13-04-07 at 14:17.

Yup, that's my experience too Shoegal.

They usually take about 30 mins to take effect then start to fade away after a couple of hours. I usually felt it had totally worn off after about 4-6 hours. It probably takes a day or so before it gets broken down and totally expelled by your body.

Jim

Thanks!

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you fear....."

hi im new on here iv had aniety for a while but only know iv got it since jan when i got it bad due to a death in the family iv been takeing diazepam on and off since then i took a 2.5mg the other night and felt great for 24hours can a tablet last that long ?

Quote Originally Posted by shoegal View Post
    Hi

I think it stays in the body for a few hours but the noticeable effects only last for a couple of hours.
    When I was going into hospital for tests, the Doctor told me to take my diazepam 2 hours before my appointment so the effects would have worn off before the tests were carried out. I think it stays in the body for much longer (in the organs etc before it is excreted) but the effects wear off long before then. Also, when I was younger and was prescribed valium more readily, I was taking it at intervals 3 times a day - there would be no need to do this if its effects were not wearing off.
    I have just looked at the page Ozzy added and it says that the drug reaches it's peak (maximum effect) between 30 minutes and 2 hours, so that seems to tie in with what the Doctor told me. After 2 hours the drugs effects will be wearing off as your body will be metabolising it

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

This should explain things for you ... Sue

As in the link posted above, benzos (including diazepam) stay in your body for an incredibly long time after the effects have gone. Very high doses will still be in you at some level for weeks and weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by beccalous View Post
    hi im new on here iv had aniety for a while but only know iv got it since jan when i got it bad due to a death in the family iv been takeing diazepam on and off since then i took a 2.5mg the other night and felt great for 24hours can a tablet last that long ?
    I think it was probably that it helped you to relax a bit (or a lot!) and once you'd finally had a good chance to relax your body kept it going for you

valium is what i need now.. its only thing that makes me feel ok n wud stop me doing wat said in my other thread but cant get diazepam doc wont...

~YOU MUST BRAVE THE STORM TO SEE THE RAINBOW~
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ~If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information