Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do the effects of diazepam last for?

Question How long do the effects of diazepam last for?

Hi everyone.

I'm having a couple of injections/blood test tomorrow and have a bad needle phobia so I got some diazepam from my doctor.

I'm just wondering how long will the effects of it last? I will be taking 5mg, and it will be my first time taking it.

I don't want to take it too soon and for it to wear off before I have the needles since my appointment is in the afternoon.

My doctor said take it after breakfast, but if I take it at 10am will it have worn off by 2pm?

I'd appreciate any responses asap.

Thanks.

Re: How long do the effects of diazepam last for?

5 mg is quite a high dose. You'll probably find it'll last several hours if you haven't taken it before. Do you have to drive?

I had a blood test this morning, I have to have them every 3 months as I'm on lithium. I was terrified the first time but now it's old hat. I had a newly qualified lady taking blood, she was more nervous than I was! I had to tell her to take more than one vial and she was mortified!!

I agree that 5mg is a high does - most docs would give 2mg. Anyway he must have a reason for that dosage.

I was told to take it 30 mins - 1 hour before the event that I needed it for - in my case flying.

I do hope it doesn't zonk you out too much if this is the first time you have taken it.

I don't like giving blood so I just don't watch what they do so I never know !

Just look away and chat to the nurse and it works. There is no reason you need to see the needle and blood tests don't hurt

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for the reply Jo. I'm glad it won't wear off too quickly. Thankfully I don't have to drive. My doctor warned me that I may feel drowsy.

I had a needle on Monday without taking any medication first, but it was only the pre-BCG test which you have in your forearm, but even that made me feel all tingly and I had to stay laying down for a while. Now tomorrow I'll have the BCG and probably a blood test too (which I've never had before). I hope I will get used to it, but I thought having two at the same time would be too much for me, especially the blood test. I hope the diazepam works!

I'm glad you've managed to overcome the fear!

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I agree that 5mg is a high does - most docs would give 2mg. Anyway he must have a reason for that dosage.

I was told to take it 30 mins - 1 hour before the event that I needed it for - in my case flying.

I do hope it doesn't zonk you out too much if this is the first time you have taken it.

I don't like giving blood so I just don't watch what they do so I never know !

Just look away and chat to the nurse and it works. There is no reason you need to see the needle and blood tests don't hurt
    I don't really know why he gave me that doseage. I hope it won't be too much for me. I'm a bit worried now! What doseage did you have before flying? And did it work?

I'll certainly be keeping my eyes closed. I'm glad you say it doesn't hurt, I just hope it doesn't take a long time!

I was given 2mg tablets and broke them in half so I took 1mg.

I also took this dosage when I was very bad with panic attacks and again 1mg calmed me down.

Just don't think about it and keep talking to distract your mind and it works!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,
    This is an extract taken from - http://www.answers.com/topic/diazepam?cat=health
    Diazepam dosage is determined by a physician taking into account the nature of the problem, severity of the symptoms, and the person's response to the drug. Typical adult doses range from 2–10 mg taken two to four times a day. Children and elderly adults will typically receive 1–2 mg one to four times daily.
    The dosage of diazepam typically prescribed by a physician is taken anywhere from one to four times each day, depending on the strength of the individual dose. This maintains the concentration of the drug at a therapeutic level, as diazepam is quickly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Peak levels of the drug are reached within a couple of hours after administration, with levels dropping below therapeutic effectiveness within six to eight hours.

Hope this helps,
    Decca.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what happened... I took the 5mg diazepam. Thankfully it didnt make me drowsy and did keep me calmer than before. I had a blood test and a vacination. I did feel tingly in my arms afterwards but not that much and it wore off a lot quicker than before. Anyway, I'm glad it's all over now. I had been putting it off for a while, when it wasn't really that big of a deal (even though I knew it wasn't anyway).

Thanks again for the replies.

Hi just been reading this to ask the same thing and was amazed to read that people thought 5 mg was alot im on 10 mg
    For the past few years and find sometimes thats not enough
    Interesting how things are for diffrent people

I agree Hotsprit I find that in a full blown panic attack it takes about 20mgs to calm me down 5mgs wouldn't even take the edge of it but then again I have been an on off user of diazepam for years for anxiety
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information