Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy, do they put anxiety sufferers to sleep?

Endoscopy, do they put anxiety sufferers to sleep?

Hi all,

The reason I ask, I have been to the doctors today and it was not the news I was expecting if i'm honest.

Obviously, I told him that I'm still having the nausea feeling, burping and sick taste in throat.

He asked me how did I get on with the omeprazole, which I was honest and told him that I noticed no difference and because of this, my anxiety was at it's highest point.

He asked me if taking a blood test would worry me more as they show abnormal activities, to which I said I would have one.

I'm having the blood test in the morning at 9:50, which I'm not looking forward to at all but this is least of my worries.

The doctor suggested lansoprazole, which he said it one of the strongest medications for acid as he thinks that is the problem.

He then said, in two weeks and if symtoms still exist then I would have to have a endoscopy, which would see if there is anything going on down there like an ulcer or tumour, to which I freaked out.

He then told me that it's unlikely to be anything serious as i'm not loosing weight and no signs of blood etc, but I was showing signs of worry.

He then told me that he can guarantee that these tablets will work and try not to worry.

I came home and told my wife, to which she was a little worried and phoned up my doctor, to which he said don't worry as it is very unlikely.

I was wondering if I did have to have a endoscopy, would they put me to sleep as my anxiety would be high etc.

My doctor also said that it must be hard to suffer with health anxiety and that he would talk to me anytime as I have clearly being diagnosed with health anxiety.

The waiting game is also not good for me as anxiety rises again.

I'm taking tomorrow off work, which I will go and have this blood test and regarding the endoscopy, I still have not googled.

Red
    Last edited by reddevil; 29-03-07 at 21:14.

Re: Endoscopy, do they put anxiety sufferers to sleep?

Hiya
    my Mum had an endoscopy an also my friend and they both thought it was ok,neither went under,but my fiends hubby was really nervous and they put him under,have a chat with ya doctor and see what they say,i do find that my hospital have been very good with me in the past after all they are there for your well fare and care
    Hugs
    xx

hi red
    i have just brought my 15yrd old son home he has had something similar to the endoscopy. he asked for sedation and he was fine. and he being only the age he is was exremely anxious. i do believe that you can be put under if need be.
    hope this helps

Hi Red

I have the same problem as you and have had an endoscopy

It is nothing to fear and they dont put you to sleep but give you a sedative which makes you relaxed and sleepy

It is all over in 5 mins so please try not to worry!!!!

I take lansoprozole now and im fine

Take Care

Luv Kaz x x x

Is this down nose or throat?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

I'm not sure, doctor did not say much about it.

Red

ask him Red - makes a difference

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi red,

i was told by my doc that she might send me off for this test.
    i beleive its down your throat. also, because my problems are all throat related, i was told it would hardly go down far. also, i was told you have the option of going under if you are very anxious about it. (my doc knows about my health anx too) its painless and quick so i hear. no needles- one reason i was willing to try it. having said that, ive been taking the meds she gave me for it, and tho my throat is still not 100% and its been like 2 months now( ive found it can take ages for these symptoms to clear,just our luck eh?), its almost there, and my burps etc are very very minimal.i know if i go see her again, shell prob send me for the same test as you, so dont worry!!!, were in the same boat.
    lastly, 99% of the time they find nothing, and just confirm the acid problem.
    i know we'd like to hear 100%, but 99 is pretty good odds...

take care.

Hi Red,I had the endoscope down the throat and I was put out for it.Had a lovely sleep!!!My friend didnt,she had it done at a different hospital.

I think he was referring to the throat, because he said they would look down into the stomach to see if something is going on.

I lost concentration at this time because my mind wondered when I heard the word Endoscopy.

Red

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information