Thread: How long before cipralex works

How long before cipralex works

Hi

I've been on cipralex for 5 weeks now and had an awful 3 weeks with severe anxiety and panic followed by just over a week of bliss with only a low level of anxiety followed by 3 days of severe anxiety again.

Based on the above can cipralex work for me? Will I remain in severe anxiety state now or will I start to feel better again did anyone who felt worse after feeling better eventually get better with cipralex???

I guess I'm feeling very low at the moment as I really thought I was through the worst. All feels hopeless again.

Btw I'm on 10mg at the mo but don't want to go to 15mg invade side effects come back

Re: How long before cipralex works

hi phoebe

it will prob take about 6-8 weeks before you feel better and you prob wont notice until you one day think i havent felt as bad recently

If its any reassurance I did not find the side effects all that strong going from 10 to 20 mg so you may be ok in going from 10 to 15mg. The changes in our anxiety obviously get affected by events around us so you may have had more triggers around on the bad days. Sometimes a dose that supports us on a good day is not enough to hold us up on a bad day.

Also, are you taking the medication at the same time each day and at the same time relative to meals. That should help to keep your internal dosing more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    hi phoebe

it will prob take about 6-8 weeks before you feel better and you prob wont notice until you one day think i havent felt as bad recently
    Thanks Bab

I can't wait for that day - did any other therapy work well for you - trying hypnotherapy, EFT CBT and Chistian counselling at the moment. I'm so despearte to feel normal and not feel like I want to run away and leave my mind behind!!

Quote Originally Posted by alias_kev View Post
    If its any reassurance I did not find the side effects all that strong going from 10 to 20 mg so you may be ok in going from 10 to 15mg. The changes in our anxiety obviously get affected by events around us so you may have had more triggers around on the bad days. Sometimes a dose that supports us on a good day is not enough to hold us up on a bad day.

Also, are you taking the medication at the same time each day and at the same time relative to meals. That should help to keep your internal dosing more consistent.
    Yes I know what you mean - I just wish there were more good days than bad. I do know I don't feel as bad as I did on bad days but I just wish I didn't have this continual worry and anxiety. It comes over me in the morning & if I'm lucky lifts for the odd hour in the evening. It's no life. You see other people looking relaxed & making plans for a future & I wish I could too!

Thanks for your comments

Here's to calm

Getting more good days than bad is indeed the thing! And the challenge. Not getting too many good moments myself at the moment. Lots of outside stresses and family seem to have no idea of how to be supportive, and thats with me being well middle aged these days! HaHa.

I've not been making good use of them myself lately but my -brief- CBT course was big on things like "square breathing" and "relaxation techniques" to contol stress & panic responses. They have helped me at some points. Do you get the morning anxiety peak on waking or at some clear point later? If its on waking it might be your morning blood sugar or other metabolic detail. If its later - is something in your environment or routine adding to your anxiety? Its worth remembering that on a once daily medication the lowest level is 24 hours (or longer) after the last dose. So the medication actually gives us the least support the next morning! I think with SSRIs its planned this way so that our serotonin is lower and lowering overnight which is closer to natural. I not convinced how helpful that aspect is to some of us.

You've certainly rounded up a lot of therapies there! The only problem I can imagine is that each therapy has its own view/model of our condition and the cure and so some may conflict a bit in terms of making sense and progress. 10/10 for trying though.

The relaxed and planning people - ah well - I think a lot of them have the reverse problems to us. They jump in with both feet and sometimes rely on others to pull them out. A lot of anxious people don't have that level of trust - or luck - and sometimes that even follows sensibly from their life experiences. The old glass half full or half empty debate. Well half full is good if someones made you a gift of it, its not so good if you just paid for a full glass! In some of us the issues are more inherited (either genetic or learnt behavour), and even that can wait years to jump out on us. I reckon that's my route and yet I recall no real issues into my twenties and even thirties. Even the clues after that are more obvious to hindsight rather than being something that might be noticed at the time. Perhaps the earliest clue (even in my 20s) would be a tendancy to procrastination - perhaps the earliest signs of avoidance - but its neither strong nor certain.

The biggest step is realising its happening, and that its taken control. The next is seeking help. Improving is probably easy compared to those two.

If you want to talk keep posting.

Thread Information