Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atos Medical Examination

Atos Medical Examination

I have been summoned to attend a medical, by Atos Healthcare on July 29.

In addition to agoraphobia - I also suffer from a genuine phobia of anything medical - doctors - their equipment such as stethescopes - surgeries -even drugs - after having a nightmare experience with some pill a psychiatrist prescribed. My GP has been very understanding - but I haven't even been examined by him now for a long time.

Clearly I am in a very precarious and weak position. I wrote to Atos explaining that not only was I agoraphobic, but also that I have a medical phobia. They replied that 'my request for a home visit would not be considered because there was no medical evidence to support my claim. I have written back to them to say I didn't request an home visit - because I cannot cope with any medical sitiuation. There is no way I can attend on July 29th.

I know that Atos will argue generally now, that I have no medical evidence to support my claim - and exploit my medical phobia. I don't even know if I can appeal when I don't attend the medical.

I can get some evidence from neighbours that I don't go out during the day at all -I used to visit the local library about once a week -Maybe one of the librarians would testify to say they don't see me any more- not proof as such - but something. I don't know any other way of providing evidence that I am agoraphobic. I used to go in about once a week - but haven't been in for 18 months plus - These days I just about manage to go for a drive in the small hours - at most - twice a week.

If I was a benefit cheat it wouldn't be a problem for me to see my doctor - and get prescriptions and see a therapist - it would be an obvious way to play the system. Ironically - I can't even make it to the Job Centre to sign on - not without intense mental anguish anyway -at least there would be nothing medical there! The irony is - that if I sign to say I am fit for work - that would be the true fraud.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions - my predicament is quite unusual I know.

Re: Atos Medical Examination

Hi,

I don't know if this will be much help but I have had at least a couple of Atos Medical examinations. The first was a medical requested by my employer at the time but a couple I have had since then have been for incapacity claims. I suffer with GAD and panic attacks and have never had a physical examination it has always been more of an interview / questionnaire type experience. It may be different if you have a physical problem but all I can say is that in my case there was no physical examination whatsoever. At the last medical I had for incapacity benefit the Doctor spent the whole time across the desk from me reading from the computer and typing in my responses.

So anyway what I am thinking is if your GP is very understanding it may be worth having a chat with him to see if he could perhaps fax something to Atos confirming your difficulties with attending the medical and your phobia of medical equipment. You could then maybe arrange for it to be done at home (providing they turn up without any medical equipment) if that would be easier for you. You can have someone with you for support. I was always told never to turn up for these things on your own anyway. So even if you don't want someone in the room while you are having the talk you can always get someone to take you or just be around whilst it is going on.

Just a thought anyway. Hope you get something sorted.

Take care.

I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to add but I wanted to say that I really feel for your situation. People who don't suffer from panic attacks really have no idea how much we suffer do they?

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

from what i hear its not like a medical its just you ansering and he put it in his laptop ,, hope things work out wish you better god bless

Hi
    Try looking at
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
    There's a lot of free advice and there's a forum. I've paid the £18.55 for a year's subscription, and I've found it very useful. There's probably an answer on there, and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't anyone suffers the same as you.

I understand exactly how you feel because I too have a medical phobia. I also have a blood phobia and even questions can make me faint. I have been a lot better since I was admitted to hospital earlier in the year. I also won't go out unless my hubby is with me, but I'm a lot better than last year, so I'm working on it.

Good luck

i went to one not long ago, and to be honest i think sometimes its best if can go as they can se you at your worst then, its not bad its only answering questions and the dr i saw cut it short cos i was panicking so much good luck with it
    amandax

Thanks to Cutebear, Shoegal, london, Keeway and amandaj for responding.

As Cutebear suggested I could ask my GP to back a home visit on the condition that no medical equipment turns up with the doctor - although I wouldn't sleep for days, won't eat properly and I will get more migraines, than usual I think that genuine suffererers of mental illness go through much more of an ordeal with these Atos medicals than most people suffering from a physical ailment. ( Every case is different of course. I mean no disrespect to people who have physical problems. )

I resent that the examination is effectively an assault - even if they are question and answer sessions - but the anxiety and suffering they cause genuine neurotics is obscene. I can understand that the government has to have in place a system of checks - but if it is dicovered that the person is not shamming - and they have caused suffering, then they should compensate. Not that money helps much, or that will ever happen!

I have also read horror stories on forums where Atos examiners have fabricated answers, humiliated patients and been aggressive and arrogant. So there is also a possibility that a doctor causes a person suffering and even then that person is unjustly passed fit to work, causing even more stress and anguish.

I am scared that with a home visit I might get a bully - who wants to test my medical phobia - and turns up with paraphenalia - just to see how I react. I have a feeling they want to throw me to the wolves whatever I do. A victim of Government targets. I guess I am in a no win situation.

Hey, this happened to me, I went along to my doc and told her the situation and she wrote to atos telling them i could not come along and that she would forward all medical notes relating to my current problem. And that was that

Prue x

im still full on for going as at home we are more relaxed cos its a safe zone

Hi,

If your GP is willing to back you I would ask him to contact Atos explaining your current problem. I initially thought that a home visit may be more suitable for you but I can see now that infact it would still cause you an enormous amount of distress which in my opinion is just not acceptable. You don't want to be feeling like that especially within your own home. Hopefully if you get your GP on side, like what happened with Prue89 above that will be the end of it for you too. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information