Thread: how can i stop feeling sick when taking my citalopram

Question how can i stop feeling sick when taking my citalopram

ive just started on 10mg of citalopram ive been on it around 7/8 days now and feeling quite sick. i take it when i wake up without food. i have noticed a lift in my mood which is great . my question is do i take it at night to reduce me feeliing sick? will this wear off ? thanks

Re: how can i stop feeling sick when taking my citalopram

I think you kind of answered your own question. Any new med is best taken after food to help reduce any nausea side effect. The time of day is best for you to experiment with over time. I always took it in the evening to help sleep, which it did, but some people take it in the morning so its personal choice really.

hi shelly - I've been on 20mg of cit for a few weeks now - the 1st 4 weeks i was on 10mg, and i too couldn't eat much - try even to force down a rich tea biscuit - i found really bland foods better, so i ate rich tea biscuits and toast a lot for my first few weeks, and i took my tablet in the morning, i also drank a lot of protein shakes with full fat milk - which have a lot of vitamins in it, because if your not eating at least your getting some goodness from this. i dropped a stone in 4 weeks!! and am now finally getting my appetite back!!
    so keep at it and eat a few biscuits with ya tablet x well done x

Good advice from Jenny!
    I was really sick to start with - the first week was so bad I had to go to the out of hours GP who prescribed ranitidine as I couldn't even keep the tablets down! It does get better so just keep trying to get something in you. I went back to kiddie food - spaghetti hoops!! You can get Complan shakes from Boots/Tescos too which help keep your strength up until you feel better.
    Good luck!
    PS I tried swapping to evenings but didn't work for me. You can always play around and see which is best - some people prefer taking it in the evenings, others in the morning.

I started 10mg 8 days ago too. Initially I was taking it in the morning whilst trying to force down some food but found I was nauseous and dizzy within a couple of hours and really tired by 2pm. At the weekend my whole family had a tummy bug and as we'd been up sick in the night decided to wait until the evening to take my next dose rather than in the morning (and risk it coming back up). I have found it easier to take with my dinner in the evening and have had NO side effects other than some tiredness late afternoon. In fact, at this point, I barely notice I'm taking any meds at all which is a far cry from other meds I've tried.

If you wake up in the morning with jitters/anx, it may be worth swapping to the evening, it won't necessarily stop those feelings, but at least you won't be adding nausea to the mix aswell.

thank you guys

Shelly how are you feeling now and had the nausea eased off. You are a couple of weeks ahead of me.
    I am on day 7 of Citalopram and the sickness/nausea/retching unbearable.
    I take mime after breakfast ( which I force myself to eat).
    I am going to try Ritz salty biscuits as I ve heard they are good for seasickness. It's worth a shot.

Take care

thanks feeling blue i feel a lot better now i take them around 11pm at night. i wake up some days with nausea but it is a lot better than when i first began it does get better stick with it

Found this really useful and have swapped my tablet time to bed time. Thanks very much

Thread Information