Thread: Leaving my house is hard..everyday is such a struggle

Leaving my house is hard..everyday is such a struggle

I have had panic attacks since i was 8 or 9 and now i am almost 20. I have tried to beat Anxiety without medicine, but it seems that I just cant. University started back up again and my anxiety is really bad right now. Sitting in class is such a struggle, it makes me want to cry because of the hell i put myself through. I fear of dropping dead, mostly with heart problems. I always fear of having a weak heart, and that im just going to drop dead. And i fear dying near people i don't know. THat is why i fear leaving my house. Life is getting really hard because im not functioning normally. I fear leaving behind my friends and family. Its just unbearable

Re: Leaving my house is hard..everyday is such a struggle

Any idea where the heart problems worry came from?

Why don't you want meds?

I have pcv's, It that weird heart beat, which anxiety causes. I have heath anxiety and even if I over come this problem, it will just lead to another like cancer ect. I didn't want meds because i went to a therapist that was against them. ANd for some reason i thought i wouldn't be myself if i took meeds.

I understand.

One thing that's helped my HA is learning the statistics behind whatever I'm afraid of and realizing how unlikely it is to happen.

You said you went to a therapist. Are you still seeing them? If not, why not? Anxiety disorders are like diabetes, not cuts on your finger. They don't go away but you learn to manage them to not be a problem in your life.

I've been taking Prozac for my OCD for at least 10 years. According to my wife, I'm still "me" only without the distraction caused by the worry.

Did your therapist say why they were against them?

Well I just stop seeing my therapist because, im going to a different one, that can prescribe meds. Yeah the odds are in my favor in not dropping dead, also the fact i have no major heath issues. It just My OCD takes me out of reality, and nothing matters expect what i am worrying about. My THerapist was against it because he thought it was kinda like cutting corners. Like cheating on a test, it doesn't help me in the long run. But i have come to conclusion, that there must be a chemical imbalance in my brain, and medicine will help, with also techniques to calm myself down. And also i have come to the conclusion like you said Anxiety doesn't go away, just something i have to live with
    Last edited by Trent1481; 07-09-12 at 18:24. Reason: typo

I understand about OCD taking you out of reality. I use statistics to remind myself of reality, but its not as reliable as it used to be for me.

You could try eating a healthy diet and getting alot of exercise to give you additional things with which to combat your anxiety. Every time you get worried you could tell yourself "yeah, but I just ran 5 miles and my cholesterol level is very low so I'm gonna live forever"

I think the change in therapists is a good one. Give yourself every tool you can in order to fight back, and meds are a tool.

I agree about the chemical imbalance as well. I think that's where most of my problems come from and why I've done very well on meds. In fact, I am managing my disorder with a combination of meds and coping strategies. It sounds pretty similar to what you're proposing to do and I'm here to tell you it works.

Well thanks for the support, it nice to know I am not the only one going through this.

Thread Information