Thread: Feel like heart stopped,dizziness,vision blurry!

Feel like heart stopped,dizziness,vision blurry!

First of hi all.
    Im a 29 male who started suffering from anxiety attacks just under 2 years ago now which was mostly heart worries.I was put on propanolol and eventually citolopram which the latter helped very well.About seven mo th ago i came off both after i had got the better of it.
    Now onto my new problem
    Over the weekend there i had my second occurence in 3 month where i feel my heart has stopped for 4/5 second.It starts with me feeling really weird then light headiness and vision going blurry.As soon as i felt the light headiness over the weekend i tried to feel pulse(which im now expert at) and im 99% sure there was no pulse for about 4/5 seconds which also comes along with short breathness .Then i felt my heart beating really fast for about 10 seconds and eventually slowing down to its normal rate,although i felt real weak and drained of colour for about 5 minutes afterwards and was slightly shaking.
    Now when i used to have my anxiety worries i never felt any of the effects i have felt on the two occasions mentioned above.I have an appointment with my GP on Weds but i know for a fact they will simply say panic/anxiety attack and send me on my way with a prescript for old meds.
    I have looked up a little on skipped heartbeats and related info but to be honest its making me feel worse.
    Also i know that panic attacks can make you think that your heart has stopped momentarily but i on these occasions im am sure it did.
    Thanks for taking time out and any help is appreciated.

Re: Feel like heart stopped,dizziness,vision blurry!

Hiya

It sounds like you have an arrhythmia or your suffering from ectopics (PVC's or PAC's). I can assure you you heart isnt stopping, it just feels that way. I'm sure you know without me telling you they are probably anxiety related- awful i know as i get it too.

You have done the right thing seeing your GP again, my feeling is you may need to restart the propanalol. Get him to do an ECG just to reassure you though.
    As frightening as they may be, everyone gets palps but because we are so charged up on adrenaline we notice them more.

Let me know how u get on xx

Thanks.
    Just hope my GP understands as in the past they have been to quick to just say"panic attack" and send me on my way.
    Blood test,ecg or any other tests to at least check me out would put my mind at rest immensly.Im looking to get back into the gym as when i was going there felt my best,although sadly with this worry i couldnt face it as worry of heart would stop me.

Yeah i know how u feel totally! They are quick to say stress & panic but you are well within your rights to say can i have some tests to put my mind at ease x

Hi im 55 .. and this has been going on for most of my life.I am no doctor so please don't take what I say as fact only what has happened to me. First of all Im hoping the stopping is normal.From everything I have read it is.I have noticed mine does this all through the day and especially at night. i think the dizziness and weird vision comes from anxiety but checking your pulse and paying attention to your heart stopping..

I know im suppose to have a perfect heart in everyway and mine does this but the only thing I can tell you for sure if you are worried go to your doctor and talk to them about it and have test done.. I did and they can't find anything wrong with mine but I very much like you still worry about it.I try to ignore it as much as possible but sometimes I can actually feel it stop in my chest then that worries me..Hope you feel better soon. Michael

Hello Paisleychap,

Yes, it sounds like ectopic beats you are having. The gp should be sending you for an ecg and this will put your mind at rest. They are completely harmless and are suffered by many people here. Your heart will not stop, it's just that you feel the gap between beats. Tell the doctor about your heart beats and that they make you feel uncomfortable. Ecg is a run of the mill procedure in hospitals - there are always ecg technicians available. This will reassure you that there's nothing to worry about. Anxiety causes ectopics and other types of palpitations but there is nothing actually wrong with your heart and it will be as strong as ever. You are not alone with these.
    Myra

I too suffer with missed heartbeats (please read my posting) it feels like my heart has stopped for a couple of second the BANG it fires up again. I went for an ECG last week and i felt it was happening all the time I was wired up to the machine..... the ECG said my heart was fine, if anything my pulse a little high.

I often get dizzy and lightheaded but i put that down to anxiety and adrenaline like a wave over my body, i also increase my breathing which i think contributes to the dizziness.

Anxiety can make our bodies do all types of strange things. Go to the Drs and be quite forceful (if need be) and ask for an ECG, i was always being fobbed off with its anxiety, but i needed reassurance.

Take care

Wee update folks.
    Was at GP yesterday and she was great with me.I have been reffered to the hospitals palpitations clinic where they will look into it further.Also had bloods taken as well

Your heart will be fine, the missed beats are a part of anxiety and me too like so many others have had this. Mine has jumped, thumped, missed beats and given me strange sensations for over 30 years now and I'm 47 yrs old and it used to be so frightening I didn't dare leave the house.

Don't let it scare you, I just ignore it now and these episodes do pass. My heart has been checked more times than I can count and it still does it occassionally. I cycle 10-15 miles everyday and I still get the odd sensastion, however the less I worry about it, the less it bothers me. Remember your focused attention will make it worse, I know it is scary and feels funny, but say to yourself, I'm not going to let this intimidate me anymore, thats what I did once I had been reassured by the doc at least 10 times (sad git I am). I think the poor guy wanted to slap me in the end.

Anyway, don't let the damn thing get you down or restrict your life, just let those thoughts go and you'll be fine - that's what begins the cycle of worry, sensation, worry etc, etc. Don't get caught up in it - it is a nightmare, just ask anyone on here.

My brother has never had any anxiety or any of the symptoms we've had and he had a heart attack, and I asked him about blurry vision and feeling dizzy and he said no just a damn chest pain. Don't get me wrong he's bigger than me and eats for England and all the wrong stuff. So get your heart checked and watch your diet and get some daily exercise and you will be ok.

All the best - Gaza

Quote Originally Posted by paisleychap View Post
    Wee update folks.
    Was at GP yesterday and she was great with me.I have been reffered to the hospitals palpitations clinic where they will look into it further.Also had bloods taken as well
    im glad you have a helpful, constructive dr.

Mine dismissed any theories that I had regarding the cause of my finny heart sensations/palps/pains and even tried to talk me out of having the 24hr tape (which was MY suggestion) I even had to push for bloods (thyroid/full red count) which were also MY idea....

ffs, I should be a doctor y'know

Thread Information