Thread: Beta Blockers

Beta Blockers

Can propranolol make you cough- as soon as i take one i have a tickle in my throat and the need to have a good cough!?

Juicy

hi juicy i have just started beta blockers today so not really sure.have you read the side effects?(or are you anything like me and not read them!)would love to know how you are getting on with them as i really am hoping these will help me
    sorry i can,t give you any advice
    take care
    rach x

Hi juicy

Before I started taking beta-blockers my throat was always dry and I coughed quite alot. It might just be a symptom of anxiety as mine is. If you are in any doubt see your doc or call NHS 24.

My tablets are 40mg. The data sheet says it can cause wheezing amongst other things.

How many do you take?

T

Hello juicy

I have been taken propanalol for 2 months. It has been very effective at stopping my palpitations which were severe and constant. I take 3 x 40 mg per day, but I'm currently weaning myself off of them because I'm hoping I've now discovered other coping mechanisms to deal with my PAs. (I'm also weaning myself off of sleeping tabs). I'm trying to cope with just Rescue Remedy, water, breathing,exercise, distraction, stretching, etc, etc.

Propanalol is not recommended for use in Asthmatics because it does have an impact on the airways - it could be causing a tickle in your throat. Also, please be very careful with some of the over the counter sleep and stress relief aids. Tescos and Sainsburys own brand state quite clearly they should not be taken when Propanlol is being used. Similarly, Nightol herbal contains the same natural ingredients (valerian, hops etc), but there is not the same warning as Tescos/Sainsburys. Having said that, I reacted badly to the Nightol containing antihistamine, and I suspect it was the interaction with the Propanalol.

Good luck - hope it works for you.

Sandie

Just wondered what happened when you took Nytol?
    I have taken it for a year and feel horrible!
    Rosalind

Smile Re: Beta Blockers

hi guys. i have just been prescribed proprapanlol today, so i hope this deals with the anxiety and panic....lisa

Re: Beta Blockers

Hi
    yes propanolol can make you have a bit of a tickle and a sore throat but it usually just lasts a couple of weeks till your body gets used to it, if youget a sore throat which persists after this though then mention it to your doc, i think it might tell you that on the label/
    this is the only med i take now and i just take it the week before my period every month, up to 3 a day as they reckon that my anxiety is hormonal ( and i would have to agree). It does help me,and i stop it usually the first or second day of my period. It also dries my mouth up a little.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Hi folks, I take atenolol for high blood pressure, I take 50mg per day. Has anyone been on this and is it much the same as propanolol? Does he help with panic attacks?

Thanks
    Eibhlin

my second day on propanolol, my eyes feel a bit dry, and i feel a bit sickly, can anyone tell me if this only lasts a couple of days,til they get in my system...regards

Hi, A member of my Meditation Group takes blood pressure pills and was coughing so much one time that he had to go out of the room. His cough only started when he began taking the pills. I think he is going to ask about changing them. Brandy Snap

Thread Information