Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Globus Hystericus??? (not so hysterical)

Globus Hystericus??? (not so hysterical)

Ok, so I've got this funky throat thing happening for about 4 months now. I am not in "pain" but it is just discomfortable. Sometimes I feel like I have a lump by my adams apple (lower throat) - kind of like when you get all emotional and you are trying REALLY hard NOT to cry. So off I go to the Dr.'s and she says Globus Hystericus. We talk about it and I think - yup, I can see this, signs are there, stress etc. My question is now that I realize that I can control this (or at least I need to get my stress under control to get over this) how long should this take? I do feel better knowing that I don't have throat cancer and all the fun things I psyched myself up into believing I had. Dr. says reassurance from her is normally the key to the healing to begin. In otherwords....
    "You are not deathly sick with a nasty disease so get over it!!) I just wonder if anyone else has had it and how long before you go sympton free?? I still have the odd spasm in my throat (it feels like a flutter) and I find if I have a really good cry I feel amazing afterwards. Just hoping someone else has experienced this too. Searching for some reassurance and hoping I'll get back to feeling 100% and not always having this in the back of my head.

Hi there Canada Girl,

I've had this for about 10 months and the only way I could explain it to my doctor is exactly how you've explained it. like I'm trying to stifle a really big cry. I had it about 7 years ago and it lasted for a month or so then, this time it was attached to a huge panic attack so I'm finding it hard to keep under control right now....

Hope this helps,

Mark

Hi,
    I too had these problems with my throat and was convinced it was cancer. I made numerous trips to the doctor in tears and she eventually convinced me it wasnt cancer and it was all down to anxiety. I began to look at the feelings I was getting more closely without panicking over it and I realised that although i hadnt noticed it before that there was a slight pattern to it, in that it wasnt there 24 hours a day. There were a few times say half an hour in the day when I didnt have it. I began to accept that maybe it was anxiety and began to think about it less. I didnt distract myself from it because I find this makes me worry about it even harder but I found that I would go for a couple of hours not thinking about it and eventually this got longer and longer until it went but it took a good few weeks for it to go.
    It still comes back everynow and then I sometimes have an initial panic over it but then I calm myself down and dont worry myself and a few days later its gone.
    I read Claire Weekes book 'self help for your nerves' which helped so much.she tells you to face, accept, float and let time pass and this really does work
    hope I have helped a little bit
    lucy x

Canada Girl

I can completely understand how you feel about this. Here is my post ...
    Swallowing / throat problems / Being strangled!

I have had it since July now and am still waiting for it to subside.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Canada Girl

My throat problem is i constantly swallow it's been like that since feb this year at first it was horrible there was no let up with it now it's not to bad but it can be annoying.

I kept asking my doctor will it go and yes came the answer but it is still here i suppose i just have to put up with it i try not to let it get me down.

linda xx

Ok - so I go off to the ENT a week ago and he examines my neck and throat and says no lumps, no bumps and then puts this nasty tube thingy up my nose and I swear halfway down by throat (gross eh) and said everything looks great!! My mouth is fine and my throat is fine too. Just to make me "feel better" I go off for a thyroid ultrasound and that too comes back fine. His exact words "You are healthier than you believe". So why do I still sometimes have my funky throat?? I've been told globus hystericus normally subsides upon hearing the "you are 100% fine" but so far I still don't feel 100% yet. Any comments?? Although the reassurance from the doctor was great I still think - maybe, just maybe something was missed??

Never had it myself sorry but I do find the doctor is the 'spark' required to get to mental recovery.

Hi There,

I suffer badly with this to it seems to be one of the biggest and annoying anxiety traits hey!

Please don't worry take comfort from the reasurance that you have been given.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X

Oh gawd me too! I have bouts of this quite often after having it almost constantly for about 6 months. It feels so very real and it's SO easy to let yourself concentrate on it and worry about it but at the end of the day it's just our doing and I've accepted that now. I find that the second I'm put on the spot or in a awkward situation I become very aware of my throat and feel it tighten almost instantly. I've accepted this as a symptom of anxiety now and it does die down eventually.

Mark x

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information