Thread: Dosulepin (Dothiepin) and Quetiapine (Seroquel)

Dosulepin (Dothiepin) and Quetiapine (Seroquel)

I have been on high dose Dosulepin for quite a few months now, and I don't think it is making any difference for my depression or insomnia problems.

A few months ago, my GP added a small dose of Quetiapine (an anti-psychotic), to try to help my insomnia. It still didn't work and my insomnia was becoming very, VERY SEVERE (e.g. I do not sleep at all for 7-10days, then only sleep for an hours or so, before not sleeping for another 7-10days, and so on). So, I took it upon myself to try and ascertain if a higher dose would help me sleep. I tried and a higher dose worked. So I went back to my GP and asked her for the higher dose. She was fairly reluctant because it is only usually used in the higher dose for people with extreme psychosis, however, with a longer discussion about the problems I have without sleep, which include violent and suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, etc, she agreed to increase the dose on Friday. I have now slept for 3 nights in a row (about 5-6 hours each night), which is amazing. I got to a point where I never thought I would sleep again!

I just wondered, has anyone else ever been prescribed Quetiapine (Seroquel) for sleep problems or without psychosis (particularly in a higher dose)? If so, has it had any side effects?

Thanks,
    Lima x

"Start to breathe and fake a smile
    It's all the same after a while
    I know, that you are tired
    Carrying the ones you lost
    A picture frame with all your thoughts
    I know, you hold inside"
    Come Back Down - Lifehouse

Re: Dosulepin (Dothiepin) and Quetiapine (Seroquel)

Dear Lima I have only just noticed your post. It would seem that your sleep problems are very severe. If the seroquel is helping then that must be good news. I take it that your GP will adjust your dose wihen your normal sleep pattern is established? I noticed that you have hallucinations too when lacking in sleep. I have had these too but when I have been adjusting to higher doses of mirtazapine. I too have been on dothiepin ( high doses up to 200mg ) but in the last two months I have been taken off it as my psychiatrist favours the newer anti depressants. I am also taking lithium. Dothiepin is extremely sedating so he must think that you need an anti psychotic to get off to sleep and for the other reasons that you mention.There are others on here who will answer questions on seroquel. I took dothiepin for sixteen years.

hi i have been on this for 5 years on 225 mg i also take sulpiride ( anti pycotic ) and promazine ( modd stabliser) i found that iys has helped with my sleep as i suffer with insomnia aswelli also have initraziam to help me sleep its one of the stronger sleeping tablets but i find it i dont get zobified like i do on other sleeping meds

all the best georga xx

seroquel should not be prescribed for sleep problems. it is a hardcore drug, lots of associated problems with it. there are much safer sleep medications. it is used off label as a sleep pill. ask your doctor for another drug, i would highly reccomend not taking seroquel for sleep problems.

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

Thanks for your advice BabyRachel, but I think my GP and the liaison psychiatrist have got this one right. The decision was taken with a huge amount of thought, consideration and discussion between all three of us.

Unfortuntely quetiapine (Seroquel) is a last resort to help with my (very severe)insomnia. It is fairly unusual for use off license for insomnia, but my GP and a psychiatrist thought it was one of the only options left for me as I seem to have a high tolerance for medication. I have been through all the usual (safer) sleep medications: the benzos - diazepam, temazepam and lorazepam; zopiclone and zimivane; and a number of anti-depressants with so-called sedative effects - including mirtazepine and amitriptyline.

I am now on a regular dose of 25mg of quetiapine for two nights, then 125mg every third night. This means I do not sleep for two nights, but I am more able to relax, then I sleep on the third night with the higher dose. It's not ideal, but my GP thinks if we use the higher dose every night, I will become tolerant to it.

It is working well so far. I am happy with the medication, sleeping once every three nights is soooooo much better than none at all and with few side effects.

Lima x

"Start to breathe and fake a smile
    It's all the same after a while
    I know, that you are tired
    Carrying the ones you lost
    A picture frame with all your thoughts
    I know, you hold inside"
    Come Back Down - Lifehouse

Hi
    I don't know if you 're still interested in this topic, but I took 600mg quetiapine for bipolar induced insomnia after the birth of my son. It was the only thing that worked for me. I'm still on it a year and a half later but gradually reducing it (250mg now). I tried to come off it before but ended up with dreadful insomnia again so took it again.
    I can't see that there's any problem with using a high dose for insomnia; no one can live like that and it's just as bad a problem as psychosis. The only side effect I've had is 2 stone of weight gain and as I was skinny before I can live with that.
    It's also had other good effects, like eliminating the anxiety and OCD I used to have.
    Hope things are going well for you now.
    Brwonstag

Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    I have been on high dose Dosulepin for quite a few months now, and I don't think it is making any difference for my depression or insomnia problems.

A few months ago, my GP added a small dose of Quetiapine (an anti-psychotic), to try to help my insomnia. It still didn't work and my insomnia was becoming very, VERY SEVERE (e.g. I do not sleep at all for 7-10days, then only sleep for an hours or so, before not sleeping for another 7-10days, and so on). So, I took it upon myself to try and ascertain if a higher dose would help me sleep. I tried and a higher dose worked. So I went back to my GP and asked her for the higher dose. She was fairly reluctant because it is only usually used in the higher dose for people with extreme psychosis, however, with a longer discussion about the problems I have without sleep, which include violent and suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, etc, she agreed to increase the dose on Friday. I have now slept for 3 nights in a row (about 5-6 hours each night), which is amazing. I got to a point where I never thought I would sleep again!

I just wondered, has anyone else ever been prescribed Quetiapine (Seroquel) for sleep problems or without psychosis (particularly in a higher dose)? If so, has it had any side effects?

Thanks,
    Lima x

hi lima i have to take 300mgs twice a day this is for pyhcosis ,iam very suprised that your gp has prescriped this for helping with sleep this is an extreme strong anti phycotic and yes it does have some quite nasty side effects , also if you are to stay on this then i would get yourself some sort of eating program as this makes you gain weight like theres no tomorrow , you might to want to go back and ask for something different but its your choice take care lentils ...

In reply to the last post about an eating programme, I personally don't think there's anything that can be done about the weight gain. I am vegan, eat very healthily, walk an hour or more a day, swim three times a week and still put on 2 stone. The only thing that ever makes me lose weight is to drop the dose.
    I also think people are over-reacting to the term 'anti-psychotic', as if because psychosis is something perceived to be extreme then the drugs used to treat it must necessarily be a chemical kosh: it's a drug that was first developed for psychosis but has now been licensed for bipolar disorder and probably will have further uses once it's been around for a few more years. I think it's a brilliant drug and enabled me to live a normal life. I don't feel in any way zonked or that I am taking a strong drug: I just feel normal, balanced, sane.

Dear Brwonstag I can emapthise your defence of needing to be on quetipane. Your psychiatrist would have thought that you would benefit from it for insommnia and bi-polar after the birth of your son. Were you in hospital when you were first prescribed it? It has obviously had a lot of benefits for you by re-estsablishing your sleep pattern and controlling the anxiety and ocd. I understand that you can quickly become very mentally unwell with a young baby and no sleep. I expect that your doctors will reduce your meds when they think fit. I am on lithium which is a different type of drug to the one that you are on but with potentially many side effects. The side effects out weigh the benefits of this medication for me and I expect that is true for you too. I wish you well and keep well and ignore the do gooders. EJ.

Thread Information