Thread: Worried about esophageal cancer

Worried about esophageal cancer

all,

30 y/o male, currently experiencing discomfort while swallowing including pain between the shoulder blades when eating. I don't know if it's food getting stuck or what, but if I don't chew food to liquid I can feel it moving though my esophagus, and feel slight pain about upper 3rd of chest.

My question is: I had a CT scan of the thorax performed 10/19 for a follow up to lung nodules. Good thing is they have been stable for 3 years, but my question is how likely is EC to show up on a CT scan? I know they perform CTs for staging and follow up, but I'm worrying myself crazy because PPIs don't seem to be helping, but thought I'd ask here. Looking for an appointment for endoscopy hopefully this week.

Re: Worried about esophageal cancer

I currently also have this fear. I feel like food is sticking in my throat and that I need liquid to wash it down. I have had this sensation for about half of a year. When I consulted with a GI in June, they told me that esophageal cancer typically progresses very rapidly and you go from not being able to eat any solids pretty rapidly. I also ended up having two endoscopes (because I have HA and I struggle to believe tests when I still experience the symptoms). They could only see acid reflux that I have developed after a bout of food poisoning and pregnancy. I am currently wanting a third endoscope...

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyg89 View Post
    I currently also have this fear. I feel like food is sticking in my throat and that I need liquid to wash it down. I have had this sensation for about half of a year. When I consulted with a GI in June, they told me that esophageal cancer typically progresses very rapidly and you go from not being able to eat any solids pretty rapidly. I also ended up having two endoscopes (because I have HA and I struggle to believe tests when I still experience the symptoms). They could only see acid reflux that I have developed after a bout of food poisoning and pregnancy. I am currently wanting a third endoscope...
    ...which would only show what the other 2 endoscopies (invasive procedures) have already shown

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    ...which would only show what the other 2 endoscopies (invasive procedures) have already shown

You are definitely right, Pulisa.That is what I keep reminding myself when my anxiety gets so high. I just hate that the symptoms are continuing to persist. My mind totally goes to "what ifs". I currently am thinking that the two GI doctors missed either something in my esophagus or stomach. Not giving into the test seeking has been really tough!

If you have 100 endoscopies you will not be satisfied.

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

If the symptoms disappeared would you be reassured and believe the GI doctors?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    If you have 100 endoscopies you will not be satisfied.

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

If the symptoms disappeared would you be reassured and believe the GI doctors?

Hi Pulisa,

I know you are right. If I don't believe two endoscopes, what would make me believe the third one. I definitely would be seeking out the test for reassurance that I still don't have anything. If the symptoms disappeared, I would be reassured.

I appreciate how very hard this is for you. Every day without you going to the hospital is a big achievement.

This is also my current HA of choice. Feel like food or something is stuck in my chest...like right where my esophagus meets stomach. Went though a similar scare, although that was higher up and more "globus" about ten years ago. Had the endo scope done... all was fine then. They said I had reflux and the acid can cause all sorts of sensations. Tightening, pain, esophogeal spasms, etc. The thing is, even though reflux fits the bill for my current fear/anxiety, my mind still goes to the "what if" and I can't shake it! So I'm going back on zoloft and trying to cognitively convince myself that it is much more likely to be reflux. I also have post nasal drip (especially this time of year) and have put on a few pounds (which usually increases my heartburn, and thus reflux). So logically I can explain my symptoms, wish I was better at following logic and not fear. It's a constant battle.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, however does anyone have any idea if CT scans are reliable in picking up esophageal cancer? Does a clean CT mean anything significant?

I've got a scope on 11/28, so I'll have my fingers crossed until then.

I have these symptoms too, lump in throat & chest, sometimes chest and back discomfort and continual burping!! Being 61 I thought maybe I have esophageal cancer, but I can swallow food and drink, so it's unlikely. I also get esophageal spasms from time to time, which have similar symptoms.

I had a gastroscope 2 years ago which was all clear, so I have to rationalise that it's unlikely that anything would become that advanced in that time.

I had a look back in my medical history and realised that I had similar symptoms in 2012 when I had a former gastroscopy which showed mild gastritis, but it had cleared in the 2016 one. After each gastroscope I felt reassured and my symptoms cleared.

I do suffer from HA and stress, due to the weird variety of symptoms that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome can create. The throat issues are one of those symptoms. In saying this I'm seeing my Dr next Wednesday for a chat about things as it's too easy just to put it down to a CFS or HA flare,

Lesley

Thread Information