Thread: Strange shaped lumpiness found in breast - convinced it's cancer

Exclamation Strange shaped lumpiness found in breast - convinced it's cancer

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on the site although I've always referred back to it when suffering from my many anxieties (& it has always helped rationalise my thoughts) I felt this one needs particular attention & would really like some advice from women who have maybe been through it.

I'm 26 years old & found what felt like a new, fairly sizeable lump on my right breast two weeks ago. No other symptoms - boobs look normal to me & I am aware I am a fairly lumpy person (had lumps in my neck checked this time last year) but after researching the dreaded C on the net I am convinced something is seriously wrong here & I'm terrified. I saw my doctor last week who said it felt 'almond' shaped and like a cyst - which was common in my age but she's sent me for a scan anyway next week.

The more I feel it, the stranger it feels & it even felt pointy/slightly sharp this eve. What's more, I am convincing myself every little pain & chill is my body telling me it's ill.

I was pretty carefree/anxiety-less in my early twenties until I lost 3 stone two years ago & started worrying about everything other than my weight. I know now I'm slimmer I can feel more lumps & the doc said that's normal but what if it is me this time. I just don't think I can cope with bad news. Plus I have just started a new job & it's hard having to explain I have to go for a hospital app - they must think I'm unreliable already!

Anyone been in a similar situation? Would really appreciate some advice.
    Thank you xx
    Last edited by MissD85; 13-09-11 at 23:24. Reason: Typo

Re: Strange shaped lumpiness found in breast - convinced it's cancer

I haven't been in your situation but my Mum was. She was sent for loads of tests and it came back that it was a cyst. Which I would say is likely to be something along the lines of what you have. It could also be related to your menstrual cycle. The last 2 weeks I get lumps in my breast which are quite hard but the go away once my period starts.

Try not to worry. It really is unlikely that you have breast cancer.

Lisa x

Can you move the lump around or is it frozen?
    The more you poke the more you are going to freak your self out and you will make it sore and bruised and if may swell a little which is going to scare you even more.
    The doctor says it seems like a cyst which is good.
    Once you have the scan you can finally relax a little bit
    As much as you worry about bad news I think you have a better chance of having good news x

Thanks for your replies ladies. I found the lump two weeks ago - right in the middle of my cycle which is why I was so concerned. Now I am due on & everything seems harder - lumpier & scarier - I'm sure the prodding does not help.

Sometimes I feel it moving & othe times im not sure - I read that cysts should be moveable & cancer 'frozen' as you say.

I guess the scan is the only thing that can determine this for me. Thank u for taking the time to reply. It helps to know other people care & I'm not completely alone xx

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you find that by the end of your period the lump has gone. It sounds exactly like what I get. Try not to touch until your period has finished and then check to see if it's still there. Obviously still go and have the scan if that's what your GP has suggested.

Your breasts actually have their own monthly cycle. The days after your period they feel smoothest, mid cycle they become sensitive, and then the become bumpy and tender leading up to period.

Lisa x

Thank you so much Lisa, that really has reassured me, having felt it again too, it does seem moveable. So hopefully everything will be ok with the scan.

Its amazing how many people suffer with HA & constant worry, I am trying desperately to self manage my anxiety & if it is breast cancer, all I can do is try to stay positive & fight it - as it's out of my hands.

Thanks again for all your help xx

I try to check my breasts but never manage to finish as I'll feel a lump and panic and can't bring my self to touch it again.
    But I am always prodding the lumps in my neck so it doesn't make much sense.

It's good you are being sent of a test just so it can help ease your worries.
    Yay movable sounds good

Thread Information