Thread: Coming out of depersonalization but then again I'm not so sure!

Coming out of depersonalization but then again I'm not so sure!

Hi

I think that the depersonalization I've had constantly for about 3 months is finally passing. I don't feel detached but I still have this awful feeling and thought of either not knowing who I am or not feeling like me. I don't have full blown panic attacks, just differing levels of anxiety, which I know is a good step forward, but when these die down I then just have this constant feeling of not being me. I just wondered if anyone could reply with their experience of coming out of this. I'm now scared that even though the depersonalization will go I will never "be me" as the thought is so ingrained (if that makes sense!). Rationally I know that this is just anxious thinking but it won't stop! I'd love to hear from anyone who can remember what it was like to come out of this - I seem to be concentrating on every step of recovery and making it really hard for myself. Grrrrrr!!

Thanks.

Julie

Re: Coming out of depersonalization but then again I'm not so sure!

hi jules ive suffered with depersonalization for years and this has got to be the worse thing anyone can go thru i went thru that dreaded feeling of not knowing who i was and even wot i was its sooooo frightening i also had this for a good couple of months and thought it would never pass but to be honest it went as quick as it came.dont get me wrong i still have days when my anxiety has been at a high i get that dreaded feelin come over me and then them thoughts come creaping back but because youve experianced them b4 they dont seem to be that scairy i just keep telling my self ive been down this road and i came out of it and it works i just do things to distract myself trust me it will lift

Hey Jules, do not worry you are not on your own i too went through a period like that for a good couple of months. I was constantly worried that i wasnt really here and that i was just looking in at the world! I actually thought i was dead, may sound strange!!
    I found being in other peoples company really helped as it brings you back to earth and the current situation.
    I sometimes do have bouts of anxiousness and thinking that im not really here but in time it does go, so dont worry.
    When it starts to distress me i usually think of other things such as where i would like to go on holiday and picture myself on a tropical island drinking a Mohito!!!!

Think positive thoughts and dont dwell on the negatives.

Your not alone.

Much love suz x

Just like i was told years ago and had to remember it for the last two years...just keep telling yourself its just a feeling nothing more and it will go away and then concentrate on something else and it usually does..it might come back but keep telling yourself its just a feeling it cant hurt you .. and it WILL go away..I promise it does..Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Jules18 View Post
    Hi

I think that the depersonalization I've had constantly for about 3 months is finally passing. I don't feel detached but I still have this awful feeling and thought of either not knowing who I am or not feeling like me. I don't have full blown panic attacks, just differing levels of anxiety, which I know is a good step forward, but when these die down I then just have this constant feeling of not being me. I just wondered if anyone could reply with their experience of coming out of this. I'm now scared that even though the depersonalization will go I will never "be me" as the thought is so ingrained (if that makes sense!). Rationally I know that this is just anxious thinking but it won't stop! I'd love to hear from anyone who can remember what it was like to come out of this - I seem to be concentrating on every step of recovery and making it really hard for myself. Grrrrrr!!

Thanks.

Julie

To be honest if you would have asked this question a couple of weeks ago i would have been searching with you for the answer myself. But i think i am getting over this, finally. I have suffered with this for well over a year and it has scared me half to death. But now i am feeling a bit better, signed off work sick for a few weeks and getting to grips with things, learning to accept each symtom and floating over it, not letting it bother me as much, it seems to be going off a bit. I have had the feeling of not being me tonight and have posted about this wondering if anyone just got this but not the unreality and even that is common i think. But as for the unreality, mine is much much better at the moment. And now that i have actually had a small period of what i suppose you could call 'normal ness', i know that's not a real word!, now when the unreality rears it's ugly head again i have some ammunition to fire at it, and i know that it will once again go away and i will be normal again. I couldn't remember what normal felt like and i never thought i would ever be 'just me' again, but now i truly believe that i will be back and am feeling much better about it. I hope this helps and if you want to chat about anything just let me know.xx

Thread Information