Thread: Sinking feeling when standing (gravity pull)

Question Sinking feeling when standing (gravity pull)

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help shed some light on a problem I've been having since August 2009.

Quick background: I've been on a mild dose on an antidepressant for the past 10 years. I started taking it back in 1999 for panic attacks.

Since August this year, I've experienced something new and scary. Something I can't 100% relate to panic attacks (yet), because I don't feel panicky when it happens! I know what a panic attack feels like.

I get a sinking feeling when standing around. When I walk I'm mostly fine. If I'm standing around waiting then it kicks in. I feel like I'm sinking. I begin to feel like the floor is a trampoline and I feel off balance. No dizziness thank heavens.

When I sit, I'm fine. This only happens in the afternoon and evenings. I seem to be fine in the mornings. Seems like whatever it is I can fight it off in the morning.

I've had all the tests done and everything seems normal.

Can anyone shed some light? Has anyone experience this? If so, did it go away? Is there a treatment?

Please help!

Reg.

Re: Sinking feeling when standing (gravity pull)

Interesting, I had a similar feeling yesterday for the first time. I felt my feet were really heavy and were kind of being pulled into the ground. I had to shake my feet and walk around for ages to try to get the feeling to go away. Guess its all just part of the horror story that is frayed nerves!

My therapist tells me that when you get these bodily sensations you should do something really physical, like stamping your feet on the floor really hard, even running around a little. Then try to make yourself fall over. This will prove to your mind that you are fine, there is nothing physically wrong. Plus it will make you feel silly and maybe even smile to yourself! Give it a go!

Gareth

Are you getting this when standing for a long time? How about when changing positions? I have the same feelings too but also with dizziness. My doctor said it is because I have low blood pressure and don't ask me how when I have anxiety 24 hours a day. Sometimes too if you are just standing and not being physical like gareth said, it is causing you to subconsiously feel the symptoms. Try and stay busy to distract yourself.

It can happen at any moment. I can be standing for 10 seconds and I could kick in. I don't have low blood pressure, as a matter of fact, it's high.

My psychologist says that it's subconscious. I have a hard time believing that my subconscious can cause the sinking feeling and balance issues.

I am so confused. I think it has something to do with extreme fatigue, spikes in anxiety and blood pressure and visual triggers. But I don't know and that's what it frustrating.

I am off work and resting a lot, but I'm not getting any better.

I am fine in the mornings (when refreshed), then in the PM, it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    Interesting, I had a similar feeling yesterday for the first time. I felt my feet were really heavy and were kind of being pulled into the ground. I had to shake my feet and walk around for ages to try to get the feeling to go away. Guess its all just part of the horror story that is frayed nerves!

My therapist tells me that when you get these bodily sensations you should do something really physical, like stamping your feet on the floor really hard, even running around a little. Then try to make yourself fall over. This will prove to your mind that you are fine, there is nothing physically wrong. Plus it will make you feel silly and maybe even smile to yourself! Give it a go!

Gareth
    Did you get an off balance feeling like your walking on a trampoline? How did your head feel. I can walk it off also, it's the fact it happens daily that is killing me. :(

Hi Reg, I get the sinking unsteady feeling too, I get it when I'm sitting, moving or lying down too though. Almost constantly I feel like everything's moving under me almost like that horrible feeling you get on a boat when the sea's rough.
    I thought it must be an ear or balance problem but after investigation they haven't found anything. I also have severe fatigue and think it may possibly be related.
    I had a similar problem with this feeling about 5 years ago, I was put on anti depressants and this helped it then. Have you been on the same dose of anti depressant for the 10 years? Recently my aunt who has been on the same dose for many years found herself feeling anxious again, her doctor said that sometimes after a long period on a drug that the body gets used to it and it can become less effective and upped her dose. I know everyone's different but it might be worth asking your doctor.

I hope you find some answers and feel better soon.
    take care x

Hi, I've had this feeling many times, sometimes while sat usually while standing and I think it's a little blip in blood pressure (i.e. it's low). It feels like I'm falling for a split second. Very much like if you get in a fast lift that's descending. It happens more when I'm tired. The time I really notice it though is when I've just been to the toilet and standing up. I'm usually a bit high on blood pressure too because of anxiety and fast heart rate.

I'm not sure what medication you're on, I'm on Amitriptyline and I think it's partly the side effects of that. This might explain why you're ok in the morning and then not later on, how many hours it's been since you've taken it and so on. That's my theory anyway, I don't think it's harmful just a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaz View Post
    Hi, I've had this feeling many times, sometimes while sat usually while standing and I think it's a little blip in blood pressure (i.e. it's low). It feels like I'm falling for a split second. Very much like if you get in a fast lift that's descending. It happens more when I'm tired. The time I really notice it though is when I've just been to the toilet and standing up. I'm usually a bit high on blood pressure too because of anxiety and fast heart rate.

I'm not sure what medication you're on, I'm on Amitriptyline and I think it's partly the side effects of that. This might explain why you're ok in the morning and then not later on, how many hours it's been since you've taken it and so on. That's my theory anyway, I don't think it's harmful just a bit weird.

It's funny you mention the toilet. Here are my observations that I jotted down two weeks ago when trying to explain this to my doctor.

Sinking feeling in floor (like walking on a trampoline) when standing. Feeling off balance. Rocking sensation. Attacks get worse as day progresses past 1pm. No attacks in the AM.

OBSERVATIONS:
    - Can be triggered by urinating - release of pressure
    - Can be triggered after bowel movement
    - Only happens when standing
    - Can be triggered by anxiety (overwhelmed)
    - Often triggered while I'm standing around waiting around
    - Increased pulse 120bpm ++
    - Headrush off balance feeling often accompanied by light sensitivity
    - Eyes slower to focus
    - Visual input may also trigger attacks
    - Certain head movements may make attacks worse
    - There is NEVER any dizziness
    - Worse when I'm tired or exhausted

When this first occured, I had been on the same blood pressure meds for at least a year. No change. I do sometimes think it's due to blood pressure (dip or rise) combine with fatigue and anxiety. I've been resting now for weeks and it's still happening.

I don't want to be stuck with this for the rest of my life.

Can someone please give me an update of how you are felling ? I have the exact same thing since 6 months and it's ruining my life.. Please I really need help

Thread Information