Thread: Ocd with reading

Ocd with reading

Hi All

Not been on the site for a few months, but now I feel my OCD is getting worse and its bringing on worse anxiety, it is mainly caused when I read.

I cannot read anything (newspaper, internet site, book etc) without wanting to repeat a sentence over and over again in my head unless I read it word perfect without no mistakes. If I say a word in my head wrong, instead of reading the word again I feel I have to start the whole sentence again until and read it over and over until it feels right.

Also if I read an article about something bad I feel that something like that will happen to me unless I read the sentence correctly or a certain number of times. It makes reading a real chore and no longer enjoyable, I am currently waiting for some behavioural therapy to start and I am on 20mg Citalopram but feel these do nothing for me anymore.

Anyone else have any similar problem or some advice as it's getting me down now.

Re: Ocd with reading

Yes I have this
    It takes me ages to read on here and so long to read a book which is not good for me as I read and study a lot.
    I have to go back and reread things until I feel comfortable with it.
    Sometimes have to read a certain word last with a certain number of letters in it working out with how many people are in my house at a time.

I have had it for quite some time but it seems to flare up bad when I am under a lot of stress.
    Have the bit about saying word in head wrong as well. Have this quite bad lately

Hiya,
    I am like that too. I notice if I am tired then reading takes forever because I can't seem to absorb the words at all and re-read and re-read. If I am writing either by hand or typing I have to double, triple check I haven't spelt anything wrong etc. I bet when I've typed this it will be another 4 re-reads before I click post. Oh the joy. I

It's weird but I kind of remember the first day I really started with OCD at the age of about 4 or 5. I woke up one morning and raised one of my arms for some reason, then felt this sudden urge to do it with the other.

I used to have to repeat certain sequences, sayings or just thoughts in my head without any interuption or else the whole process would have to start again. Anything like an itch, a negative word or someone talking to me would put me off and make me more frustrated. At school I wouldn't be satisfied by the way I'd crossed a letter 'T' or dotted an 'I' and would keep doing it which really slowed my work down.

Nowadays there are all sorts of fancy names for problem kids, I'm 35 now and back then I don't think many people knew what OCD was so I think my parents & teachers just thought I was a bit strange, however when it came to any subject where you had to go deep in thought 'Bingo!' that's when I came into my own.

It's much less intrusive now than it used to be as everything is less routine orientated. We all know that some of the thoughts we get are just ridiculous and illogical, however we still have to give in to the ritual to relieve the anxiety.

I experience this myself. I will read a sentence over again in my head until I read it with perfect inflection and pronunciation. It's not a problem for me and I have disciplined myself to stop when these moments present themselves.

On the note of fear of unfortunate events occurring if you don't "read the sentence correctly or a certain number of times," my best advice is to just STOP!

I experienced this myself durring High School and the only way to "get over it" was to drop my fears; which is to say, stop giving in to their "demands" and instead force these shadowy threats to prove their power... they had NONE! In your mind, DARE those things to happen by your indifference to them; make those situations do the work of finding themselves into reality, instead of holding yourself hostage to the perceived threat of their occurrence.

You'll quickly find that THEY DO NOT HAPPEN and your world quickly becomes a MUCH more pleasant experience day-to-day!

Take care and God Bless!

Last edited by User_O1; 31-01-11 at 11:55.

Thread Information