Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest infection that hasn't improved after 48 hours of antibiotics

Chest infection that hasn't improved after 48 hours of antibiotics

I've been prescribed antibiotics for a chest infection and have taken 6 of the course so far.
    I have improved in my general health - not feeling as bad temperature wise, headache etc.
    My cough was very very bad last night and I couldn't sleep, now this morning I'm coughing up alot of phlegm - its watery but sometimes thick and I swallow it down.
    As I've been laying here on the sofa I've heard a crackling sound in my chest as I breathe in and out but mainly exhaling. It feels like snap crackle and pop - thats the only way I can describe it - the sound of when you add milk to rice crispies.

I'm really worried something bad is going on - online it says symptoms should improve within 24-48 hours of taking antibiotics.
    I know I have another 4 days worth to take but what if theres something worse? I keep thinking I have a deeper issue like cancer and its affecting my immune system and how I fight off viruses.

Has anybody else had anything similar? Should I go back to the docs?

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Chest infection that hasn't improved after 48 hours of antibiotics

all antibiotics ive ever taken , the doctors have always said 3 days to start kicking in.. xxx you will prob turn a corner tomorrow xxx

Quote Originally Posted by pearl79 View Post
    all antibiotics ive ever taken , the doctors have always said 3 days to start kicking in.. xxx you will prob turn a corner tomorrow xxx
    Oh right, I didn't realise that. Why does it say online 24-48 hours then?
    I just hope I'll get better soon :( I don't want to be ill for much longer, I just hope there is no underlying issue....do you think there is?

- Emily Brontė

if its says 24/48 hours then you shouldnt really doubt your doctor! But im just sayin all my expiriences with antibiotics , for example one time, when my son was born he was born with a chest infection and had to be on the neonatal ward for 5 days and i was told that he would turn a corner in 3 days with antibios, which he did. But obviously everyone is diferent arnt they , maybe you have a certain type of antibiotics, i cant tell you that but i really think you shouldnt worry, cuz that wont help the healing will it! I had a chest infection 4 weeks ago but i just sit the out rather than getting tablets, but it lasts longer.
    I realy think you are fine, your doc wouldnt ust give you tablets if he thought you were really ill xxxx relax

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

errrr and one more thing, dont look at your symptos on line!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

only listen to your doctor!!!!!

Thanks for your reply.

The cough is just really getting on my nerves now.

It hurts my chest when I cough because its so vigarous and uncontrollable. My head is also hurting because of the coughing tension.

I hoped it would have eased off abit by now, the cracking in my chest is the worst, i've never had anything like this before, i'm not even a smoker.

- Emily Brontė

I've had pneumonia before, and bronchitis, and many other chest/lung infections. I don't want to get you down, but a few times I've had a cough that brought stuff up for quite some time after (3 or so weeks). My DR told me it's quite normal. I had felt the crackles too.

If you're coughing stuff up thats a really good sign. It doesn't matter if you swallow it or spit it out, as long as its moving, and not just sitting in your lungs. When we have elderly patients with chest infections in the hospital I work at we move them more than we move other patients. The idea is that if its moving, its not sitting there growing making things worse.

That said I've also had chest infections that are gone with 5 days of antibiotics, so don't worry. Either way you're on the right track.

Girl afraid, Try not to swallow the rubbish ,the more rubbish you get rid of the quicker you will get better. If it is loose all the better. if is stuck don't strain to get it up.
    All the best

Antibiotics take at least 48 hrs to start working and they continue working for 48 hrs after you stop taking them as well. This is why if someone has a severe infection they give intravenous antibiotics in hospital as straight into the blood means they work straight away. Obviously this is only in a hospital!

Thanks guys.
    The cough is unbearable tonight, its so painful on my chest and its constantly in my chest - crackling away but also the phlegm is coming up, it doesn't come up far enough for me to spit it out so it usually just goes straight down. Will this slow down my healing process?
    Do you think I'll have to go back for a different antibiotics?

One more question, can i damage my chest by coughing so much?

- Emily Brontė

Just let the antibiotics do their stuff - you say that you are feeling improved apart from the cough.

Well the cough will take a while to go because the phlegm that has built up with the infection has to go somewhere - some will go south and some will end up being coughed up.

It can take weeks to get rid of a cough from a nasty infection -you need to not be so impatient and reassess the situation once the antibiotics are finished.

In the meantime you need to drink lots of fluids (to help break up the phlegm as well as keeping you hydrated), keep warm and rest.

It will get better - it just takes time and all this constant winding yourself up over it will only slow down the healing process. Try and relax.

Macc Noodle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information