Thread: Can i take penicillin and paracetamol together?

Can i take penicillin and paracetamol together?

Hi everyone, im sorry for the random post but got myself in a bit of a state a few moments ago and phoned my sister and friend in floods of tears. (Embarrassing considering im 28!) Basically i am in so much pain. I have sinisitus and saw a doctor today who gave me antibiotics - penicillin. Now another of my so called HA worries is accidently OD on medicine and not waking up! God im so ridiculous....my housemate is away tonight and i was sat here in so much pain with the worst headache radiating to my ears and teeth that i was sobbing on the sofa. The stupid doctor said she was giving me amoxicillin but instead wrote me a prescription for phenoxymethylpencillin?

She said i wont need painkillers as antibiotics should kick in....so far nothing the pain has got worse, can i take paracetamol on these? Everyone is telling me its fine but im worrying myself sick as per usual! I took penicillin about 4 hours ago and due to take my second dose in 2 more hours. I have been taking a combined ibruprofen and decongestant flu tablets for past 3 days but last took these early this morning (Uk so 8 hours ago - long before i took the penicillin) so thats fine right?

Im sorry for the ramblin, any answers would be much appreciated as NHS Direct have a 3 hour wait till they will call me back with an answer and i need some pain relief!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Can i take penicillin and paracetamol together?

I've taken painkillers including paracetamol many times with antibiotics and have had no problems, so just keep to the regular dose and you'll be fine - I promise.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I've also often taken paracetamol with antibiotics, so I'm sure you will be absolutely fine taking them

Hi Skye.

Strange that the GP said she was giving you Amoxicillin and then gave you Penicillin

I've taken paracetamol and ibuprofen with all manner of antibiotics (including Penicillin) and been fine. What you should be careful with is the cold and flu remedies, only because they often contain paracetamol so it's very important, as I'm sure you know, not to take too much paracetamol all at once.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thread Information