Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

Im really scared right now.
    I'm afraid I'm gonna have cancer because I have had a cat scan of my head.

When I was 19 a stomach scan case of my appendix.

2 dental X-rays that I can remember of.

Back X-ray for chiropractor .

Foot X-ray for my leg.

Now I'm really starting to worry I've over done it.

I feel stupid for not being safer.
    I feel dirty. I feel like I just ruined my whole life by having these cat scans done.

I couldn't help it! My appendix was about to reputed they had to take a cat scan!

That was when I was 19.

Now I'm 24 and had another cat scan on my head. Because my pupils dilate different sizes .

I've had teeth X-rays and stuff as well, and an X-ray on my ankle.

I am serious freakig out hard about this.

I am so scared and so worried I feel like I messes up big time!

Re: Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

You have to stop and consider this - would the health professionals allow you to have these scans if they thought that you had had too many for your body to deal with?

Your scan for your appendix was a life saving scan - so it was necessary!

Your dental xrays are normal.

As indeed are the xrays on your ankle & chiropractor.

Listen, the thing to bear in mind is if you are constantly seeking reassurance about your health, then you are more likely to find yourself having tests including scans etc that will increase the number you have in a lifetime over, say, a non anxious healthy accident free individual - that is just the way it is ................................

I think that you are absolutely fine and need not worry - and when you look back in say 10 years time, you may well smile and say "well I haven't had any scans in ages"

Hello... I feel your pain & worry and I am dealing with the same . I have had 2 head cat scans a year apart ... First one I went to the ER because my head hurt so bad and they did one .. Later found out it was my first migraine .. And the second was for having double vision .. I had this back in 2005 and the doctor did an MRI and couldn't find anything wrong so I've just lived with it until this past fall when it got worse so he sent me for a cat scan but already told me what it was before he sent me .. I just have an inflamed muscle behind my eye and the scan was really unneeded .. :(... Everyone says its benefit vs risk but in my case I wish it would've been .. As for you, you could have died had you not had it done and your appendix burst .. It saved your life .... I don't know why you had one of your head though ... So I can't comment on that .. cat scans are important when used the right way and the risks are explained to you .. I never knew how bad they were until I saw it on tv a couple weeks ago and my life has changed forever .. I can't eat, I can't sleep I can hardley get out of bed in the morning :( I just turned 40 and have a beautiful 2 year old son .. I am trying to stay strong for him and my husband but it's very hard . I sit on the computer all day just looking for any little bit of hope that I am going to be ok. But in reality nobody knows .. Cat scans haven't been around long enough for any substantial study to be actually done so it's all a guess . If its any consolation your risk goes up when you have a repeated scan on the same area like me .. It's what they. cumulative exposure .. I think you will be just fine .. Me on the other hand .. I've had repeated damage to the same area :( so I fear the inevitable for my future and I am very scared too . You can email me if you like . I wouldn't even worry about your regular X-rays .. The radiation levels are so small to be of any concern. ((( hugs )))

Yes I am so scared. I never knew the RISKS of this. The doctor never explained them
    To me. Now I'm worried about my future.

I don't know what to do. I can't stop googling,

You have to stop googling .. It only leads to madness .. Believe me I know .. And on the Internet you are never going to read anything good about anything .. People only post the negatives about most things especially the media ... I think you are going to be just fine like I said your cat scans were done on separate areas and our bodies have great capabilities at repairing any DNA damage that may have occurred . It does make me angry that doctors are so quick to order tests without explaining the risks .. But if it's an emergency like your appendix time is precious and minutes matter that ct was very important .

Thanks for writing to Me. I'm just really scared I messed up my body you know?
    It's hard to stop googling because I am
    So worried :((

I just am so afraid you have no idea.

Now I'm
    Scared I WILL get a brain tumor .

if the drs didnt think it was safe for you to have all of this done then they wouldnt do it! they have all your medical records and know what you have and havent had done, im pretty sure you will be fine! speak to your dr if you still feel the same and get some professional advice

I'm scared too :( I've lost 5 pounds in two weeks and I can't eat at all .. I have myself so upset over this every time I eat I throw up .. I wish I could just wake up from this bad dream... Believe me ...I know exactly how you feel ..

Most people on here will have same excess exposure as you so you are not alone in this.

I hope no one thinks I am being cruel here but I am trying to be rational and have alot of experience of just this problem.

Firsty you can do absolutely nothing about past exposure, there is no point in worrying about what you cannot ever change. Remember that people who have never ever had an x ray get cancer and then someone who has had alot of exposure for various reasons lives to a ripe old age. You might never ever suffer any ill effects but you can ruin your life if you want by worrying it might happen. I know this sounds cruel but its the truth.

Due to HA and spinal problems I had alot of x rays in my 20's and early 30's. I can do nothing about this, but what I have done is make sure that I have not had any more x rays unless there was no alternative test. Thankfully ct scans were not available to me then.

Radiation exposure is the cinderella of the medical profession - Drs never consider the effects of the tests they order - I know some will say they won't send you for radiological tests unecessarily but each Dr works as a separate entity so two different Drs will send you for tests without knowing the other one is as well. for example friend of mine was sent for CT kidney which made him radioactive for 24 hrs so high dose radiation - then a week later a different dr a cardiologist sent him for a thalium stress test that is equivalent to 6000 chest x rays. In two weeks he had a massive dose of radiation. He is 70 so he is unlikely to see any possible long term effects BUT if he had been 30 or 40 then he was at risk. Neither Dr knew the other was ordering the tests.

So having researched this subject extensively in the past and having son who works in nuclear as well my strategy is the following

If a Dr wants to send me for any test involving radiation I always always explain that I have had alot of exposure in the past and do not want any more if there is an alternative none radiation test available. Most Drs are happy to accomodate this.

( Good example was I had persistant cough - ENT Dr scoped my throat but he said he wanted a barium swallow to check throat below voice box - I explained above and he agreed for me to have a camera instead, it cost more so that was why he did not offer it first).

You have now learnt through experience that you have had some exposure that MIGHT but probably won't put you at risk later in life so learn by this and always question the need for any medical test that uses radiation.

Most importantly - just enjoy life, don't waste it worrying about what in all probability will never ever be.

I'm seriously so scared im gonna get cancer, icant take
    This anymore

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information