Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between fluid retention and being fat??

Difference between fluid retention and being fat??

Allo!

I have no idea whether I have fluid retention/asceties (or whatever it's called) because I can't tell if it's that or whether I am just plain fat.

I am a size 14/16. My belly has always been the biggest bit of me, and my arms too. I can press my stomach in so it is flat (and pull it up so it is flat - about size 10 from the side) without discomfort or feeling like I've trapped wind or anything. I can also smoosh it around (it isn't hard) and if I sit down and bend over, I can firmly grab the layers of flab (nice!) and if I sliced downwards, they'd be gone. I can almost pinch all the way through the flab layer so my fingers meet.

Is this water retention or fat, do you think??

Re: Difference between fluid retention and being fat??

Interesting one this - I am overweight if I'm honest very overweight .When i pinch a few inches it is solid on my abdomen - also if you palpate your fingers you can feel the fat cells as little lumps - this freaked me out at first as I thought they were growths and went to the Dr - so embarasing.

A Dr could certainly tell yo for definite and its worth the embarrasement of being told its just fat honest.

It does sound as if you might have fluid but without prodding you personally its only a guess

If you do look as if you pregnant then tis worrth getting a Dr to check you out although I know loads of apple shaped people who aren't much overweight but look pregnant - I am pear shaped and have a small waist but below it I say I have an hourglass figure - 24 hrs!!!!!!!!

Hi....mines like that at the moment! I figured its because ive lost some weight and the skin was kinda loose - like i needed to tone it up or slice a portion off and sew myself back together - if you get what i mean?!

Im a size 12, somewhat overweight for my 5 ft 2 frame - but small round the waist tho so very pear shape like countrygirl! Im stupidly pearshaped to the extreme infact! But when i suffer fluid retention it goes rite to my stomach and i do if i eat bread or wheat at all (annoying!). I find a good way of helping shift it is to drink 2 litres of water a day for a couple of weeks.

Like said earlier some people are pear shape others are apple, and if you an apple the stomach is the place that gains weight first and loses it last x

Hi

You dont say how tall you are - but in my book, size 14/16 is not fat.
    If you are really worried about water retention/acites, go to your GP and have a good chat about your concerns and I'm sure he/she will put your mind at rest. I have seen acites in the abdomen and it really does look as if you are just about to give birth!! and its usually quite solid to feel.

Take care
    Judi

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! (peanuts)

Mine's REALLY squishy...not solid at all....and I'm nearly 5 foot 7.

Tell you what...I reckon I am going to start cutting out wheat and stuff. HA has got so bad that I actually WANT to give up eating crap...!!

Watched a programme about this tonight and you can flick fluid but not fat.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It doesn't sound like fluid to me, because what you describe seems to be the skin+the fat underneath the skin (not too much fat since you're size 14) that you can move around easily and play with. Otherwise, if it was water in your abdominal area (ascites), you wouldn't be able to make your stomach flat, it would always stick out, but that's just my opinion.

If you don't mean ascites but general water retention, then your whole body would be puffier, for example when I was at the end of my pregnancy and it was hot summer, the excess water made my fingers and toes swell stupidly big, it would have been hard to mistake.

Amu

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Watched a programme about this tonight and you can flick fluid but not fat.
    How'd you mean?

I can totall flatten my stomach if I sort of pull my flab up...!!

Docs can hear fluid by flicking it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I looked pregnant with Crohn's cos of the abscesses maybe and I am now just fat. It was a totally different look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information