Thread: New job, feeling really low

New job, feeling really low

I started a new job a week ago. It is my first full-time, big-kid job as I graduated from college in December. Last week, I was super excited about this new position, the responsibility, the chance to gain some skills, and of course the paycheck - it's not much (at all) but it's enough that I should be able to move out and support myself.

This week, though, I am in a major slump. On the one hand, I feel like I will never learn all the particulars of this position and that the responsibilities are incredible. Yet on the other, it's not a position that really requires a degree but I took it because 1) it was the best offer I had and 2) most jobs that required a degree ALSO required additional experience which I figured I could attain here.

It doesn't help that I had to leave a student worker position (because I was/am no longer a student) that I LOVED. There was an administrative position in that department that paid slightly more than my current one and I could have stayed with all those awesome people, but I didn't take it because I figured something new was good for me and I thought it would be humiliating if I applied and then was rejected since I knew everyone there so well.

I keep telling myself if I took that job I'd still have regrets, but I don't know.

I'm sure this is just a reaction to change and all the extra work being put on me; I remember feeling similar in some previous jobs I've had at the beginning. I also keep telling myself that I can do it for a year or two and then move onto something else if I need to. I also have the option of working on a graduate degree for free as long as I'm employed here, so that's another good option I can pursue.

I'm just feeling really, really low and needed to vent I guess. On the plus side I get to look at apartments on Friday; I was really excited to do this last week but now have convinced myself that they'll probably all be terrible and it's all for nothing.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: New job, feeling really low

First - congratulations on graduating and finding a job! Those are big accomplishments!

Starting a new job is stressful, anxiety-provoking, and can be scary. I think I have felt similarly any time I have started a new job. It will take time to feel comfortable there and can be overwhelming the first few weeks/months. I probably didn't feel comfortable for at least 6 months at my job - that's not to scare you, but just to help because it's not about your skill or your abilities, it's about it being something new. I think the longer you are there you may start to feel a little better about it.

I hope you enjoy looking at apartments. You should still try to go and enjoy it. I hope you find something nice

One thing I can promise you, is that you will learn all the particulars of the job and gain the needed confidence.

When I started my first real job, I thought I would never be able to learn everything which was required for it. And I didn't even have any degree (just High School). 9 years later, I still work there (it's a Civil-Service-type position, and around here that's usually for life...). In that time I've trained new arrivals, and without fail they said: "How am I ever going to remember all of that information!". The last one was on the verge of quitting. He didn't, and he's doing fine.

And keep in mind, as you yourself already said, you do not need to keep the job forever. No one is hindering you sending out résumés, and in the meantime you can gain workplace experience.

Thank you, both of you. I do know it will take some time! I'm in the process now of trying to figure out my finances, which is stressful too. The nice thing about the apartments I'm looking at is they are well priced and pet friendly, which is important.

I'm actually contemplating going to grad school, but that's still in the early stages. My workplace will pay for over half of the costs, so I figure why not if I can find a program I'm interested in.

Right now I'm just trying to take lots of deep breaths and find ways to make life easier on myself.

Hey that's a great benefit if they will cover half the costs!! But like you said that's not something to decide right now. Settle in, find yourself a nice apartment, and have fun ��

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    Hey that's a great benefit if they will cover half the costs!! But like you said that's not something to decide right now. Settle in, find yourself a nice apartment, and have fun ��
    Thanks I'll wait a bit for sure, even if I do decide to pursue it I will start with one course which would mostly be free (they will pay up to 3 credit hours worth per semester) and see where I go from there.

I'm kind of excited to see the apartments again, fingers crossed they're what I'm hoping they'll be (my expectations aren't too high - just clean). They're priced pretty well so if utilities aren't too high I think I shall apply.

Thread Information